• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dextrose equivalence of glucose syrup?

paulraphael

I couldn't find dextrose anywhere in town (if you think New York Cake Supply would have it, you'd be as wrong as I am). So I picked up some overpriced Wilton glucose syrup. There is no information on the package (besides "ingredients: corn syrup"), or on Wilton's website.

Can anyone hazard a guess on how to substitute this for powdered dextrose? I suppose there's no way to know how much water is in it, without measuring its density, and I'm not even sure I'd get the math right ...

Notes from the underbelly

I don't know the answer you're looking for but l'epicerie has dextrose powder if they're anywhere near you.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I don't think liquid glucose will substitute for powdered dextose.

They use dextrose in sausage making and I've often seen it in stores that carry european or asian foods.

Glucose syrup is about 10% water but the remaining quantity is a mixture of maltose and dextrose. The proportions will probably differ from brand to brand but I think it's more important in confectionary because one of them colours faster than the other.