• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten-free pizza in Bordentown

Rich Pawlak

The Queen's physician said that he discovered a pizza parlor that made a very good gluten-free pizza, so, given the Queen's allergy to gluten, we quickly headed down to Bordentown, NJ to the original PALERMO'S (674 Highway 206 South--just north of the famous Mastoris diner; (609) 298-6771).

I'm a total sucker for Trenton tomato pie. so I was psyched for some Palermo's tomato pie and I was very curious how they'd pull off a gluten free pie. According to the Bordentown manager, they buy gluten-free shells from a supplier, top 'em however the customer wants and bake 'em. I only sampled a couple of bites of the gluten-free pepperoni mushroom pie the Queen ordered, but it was surprisingly good, a corn-based pizza shell that looked pretty much like an average pizza, but the crust had good flavor, was heavier than a typical pizza crust, but not so much that you might discern a major difference. It was a good foil for Palermo's slighty sweet, chunky tomato sauce, which I think happens to make their tomato pie one of the better ones in the Trenton area.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"