• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit wood cutting boards

Aix

I was offered a large cross-sectional slice of black cherry tree. I understand cherry has a reputation for splitting. Is there anyway to turn this priceless piece into a cutting board? I haven't seen too many fruit wood cutting boards out there. Any thoughts as to why that is?

I was offered a large cross-sectional slice of black cherry tree.  I understand cherry has a reputation for splitting.  Is there anyway to turn this priceless piece into a cutting board?  I haven't seen too many fruit wood cutting boards out there.  Any thoughts as to why that is?

If your chuck of wood is as you describe, a cross section cut from a tree, it will split. As the moisture evaporates, the wood fibers will shrink and you will see the splits as they travel along the weakest part of the wood. Checks in the wood will turn into splits. (All wood will split when dried. That isn't a particular trait of cherry.)

You can soak it in water all the time which will lessen any splitting. You can try to wrap a steel band around the outside but the splits will continue. (Chinese chopping blocks are made from one piece like you describe but their use is heavier and they don't split as much from the constant application of water and fats.) There isn't much you can do given the organic nature of wood.

You can avoid the splits by deconstructing the wood, making smaller blocks and then reassembling. May not be as pretty or as you envision, but with proper reassembly, the splitting will not be as likely.

You will not see many fruit tree wood boards available because the trees are usually to small for commercial use. Cherry is usually expensive so most makers stay away from it. However, it is easy on the knife edges and has a beautiful look to it as it ages.

Or, you can call me and I can make one for you.

David

www.TheBoardSMITH.com

I was offered a large cross-sectional slice of black cherry tree.  I understand cherry has a reputation for splitting.  Is there anyway to turn this priceless piece into a cutting board?  I haven't seen too many fruit wood cutting boards out there.  Any thoughts as to why that is?

If your chuck of wood is as you describe, a cross section cut from a tree, it will split. As the moisture evaporates, the wood fibers will shrink and you will see the splits as they travel along the weakest part of the wood. Checks in the wood will turn into splits. (All wood will split when dried. That isn't a particular trait of cherry.)

You can soak it in water all the time which will lessen any splitting. You can try to wrap a steel band around the outside but the splits will continue. (Chinese chopping blocks are made from one piece like you describe but their use is heavier and they don't split as much from the constant application of water and fats.) There isn't much you can do given the organic nature of wood.

You can avoid the splits by deconstructing the wood, making smaller blocks and then reassembling. May not be as pretty or as you envision, but with proper reassembly, the splitting will not be as likely.

You will not see many fruit tree wood boards available because the trees are usually to small for commercial use. Cherry is usually expensive so most makers stay away from it. However, it is easy on the knife edges and has a beautiful look to it as it ages.

Or, you can call me and I can make one for you.

David

www.TheBoardSMITH.com

David, that's an excellent explanation.

I made a small square board out of apple for someone a few years ago. It's still in good shape, but I don't think they use it very often. It's made from 64 square blocks glued together, end grain up (and down).

My butcher has a giant stump of hardwood (maple, I think) for a cutting surface. It's beautifully eroded from years cleaver whacks. I'd hate to eat all that missing wood at once.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

It's probably too late but you if paint the ends it helps.  Go to lee valley and get the red paint for turners in the future.

Is that the same thing as Pentacryl?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack