• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hipping hall- wheres Bruno now?

So hear Bruno has left H.H. I know its already been banded about but does anybody know where Bruno has gone on to? Have any of you been recently, if so whats the bob now? Has the menu changed at all? This was my only critisim on the place. Been four times over an eighteen month period and the menu barely changed. Suppose they were playing it safe, with Michelin in mind etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to know where Jason has gone, also. I read today that a chef called Michael Wilson is now head chef at Hipping Hall. Anyone heard of him?

(My guess is that he is formerly of Watersreach Restaurant in Manchester - Does anyone have any opinions on that place?)

Edited by SaladFingers (log)

Well I hear on extremely good authority that Jason and his girlfriend are still on a sabbatical. Was informed they left H.H, as they became fed up. Its a real shame, as I reckon they had done all the hard work and would have in the very near future been awarded a star, which I believe was very important to him. He really had a great platform to showcase himself but obviously it was not to be. Something he may well come to regret, especially if by chance they get awarded a star in a couple of weeks time. At the end of the day, he had a boss who gave him total control over the food side. I have been back to h.h recently and its fair to say that the food has come down a notch or two from Bruno cooking but it would be very wrong to suggest its at all bad, its not. Not quite as polished. I believe its given the owner, Andrew, time to take stock of his business and channel it in a way he feels comfortable with. I wish him well.

Watersreach Restaurant in Manchester - Does anyone have any opinions on that place?)

We turned up about 18 months back with every intention of eating there. There was not a soul in the restaurant - not even a sign of any staff - although the hotel reception said it was open. In any event, the menu looked very pedestrian - "corporate hotel" if you will. So we got back in the car and went to Pizza Express.

John Hartley

So Marc do you know  if he's got anywhere lined up to work? PS Are you starting to get the 'michelin' feeling yet?!

hes not even looking till febuary for a new post, i think im a little envious of that time off :biggrin: as for those tyre people no im feeling pretty numb, i would be very suprised if we got anything

Shit! Five month holiday, How much was he earning at H.H?!!!!! Gonna have to have a word when I next see him! Good luck with the Michelin boys, it's about time they started giving out where they are deserved, I mean if certain chefs can be awarded a star after just six months, on the back of where they have worked, then what the f..k is going on? P.S The above, i.e reasons for giving a star after just six months, came directly from a mouth of a michelin inspector, whom I grilled somewhat earlier in the year, as frankly I thought it was a piss take.