• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Merguez Lamb Sausages

FoodMuse

Hello,

Any thoughts on how to cook Merguez Lamb Sausages? I was thinking I'd like to do a sort of a stew. Brown them first, slice and add back in just before turnips, carrots, cabbage are cooked through?

Thanks,

Grace

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Gosh, here in the south of France we eat them all the time, every butcher makes them, and they're on the menu in every little restaurant. Mainly they're just pan fried, set on a heap of couscous, or mashed potatoes, served with a dollop of harissa, maybe a little salad on the side. I like them with eggs, and they're good sliced on pizza or into pasta. People also put them on the grill in summer.

Grill/broil. (Much better than fried IMHO.) Best just very slightly charred!

You could serve with some herby salad, with a little yoghurty dressing and wrapped in a flatbread. Inside a Pitta even...

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I like merguez grilled, then wrapped in a pita w/lots of spicy sauce....I whip up a quick, sort-of middle eastern salsa. Basically, sizzle a little whole cumin & red pepper flakes in olive oil, then add sliced onions. Once the onions are soft & golden, toss in a diced tomato or two (no need to peel or seed) and a couple cloves of garlic, diced. Cook until the mixture thickens. Fresh tomato provides a nice, bright flavor...if you have to use canned, a healthy squeeze of lemon juice, at the end, will help to freshen the taste.

I also braise merguez with roughly chunked veggies--carrot, celery, potato, a little tomato, onion, garlic. Not really an official stew, just some good-tasting things to soak up the pan juices. Serve over couscous or rice pilaf.

One good thing about merguez in lamb casings is their relatively slender diameter, which makes for very quick cooking. Great for busy weeknights.

I ended up frying quickly over a very high heat, until browned. Took them off, they finished cooking off heat. Briefly reheated in oven before serving over veg stew.

I tend to overcook sausages and be very disappointed in the results.

Thx

Grace

www.FearlessCooking.tv

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

• 1 month later...
I ended up frying quickly over a very high heat, until browned. Took them off, they finished cooking off heat. Briefly reheated in oven before serving over veg stew.

I tend to overcook sausages and be very disappointed in the results. 

Thx

Grace

www.FearlessCooking.tv

Have a look at this link. It discusses the best way to cook sausages. Hopefully, you can use the techniques to enjoy them better.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog