• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar-free chocolates

carol lang

I would like to learn to make a diabetic friendly chocolate bon bon.

My friend , who is diabetic , has told me that she can usually eat Fructose, honey,

light brown sugar, agave nectar, beet sugar and concentrated fruit juice.

The fructose and agave nectar may be somewhat allowed in diabetic exchange, but I am not sure.

I am trying to research this topic and any help would be welcome.

I don't want to use anything with maltitol.

Thanks

I am a diabetic, and while I can understand your friend's reluctance to eat lots of sugar-laden foods, there is - for most type 2 diabetics - I cannot speak directly to type 1 diabetics - no reason to avoid sugar of any sort. Sugar is nothing more than another carbohydrate, and if eaten with that in mind, usually in moderation and in the context of other foods (i.e., as part of a properly planned diet and medication plan) there is no reason to avoid sugar, although it's a good idea to limit sugar and carbohydrate intake in many situations.

Strangely enough, many diabetic diets suggest a fair amount of carbohydrates - more than may be necessary or wise in some cases. Before preparing these bon-bons for your friend, it might be wise to get more detailed information about her condition and the medication she's taking.

Why do you want to avoid maltitol? What about sorbitol and the other similar sugar substitutes?

FWIW, my condition allows me to eat sugar, which I do in moderation and in conjunction with other foods. OTOH, brown rice and many breads will shoot my blood sugar level up considerably. When planning to eat a meal with a fair amount of carbs, I adjust my medication accordingly.

... Shel

Thank you for the information, Shel.

I will speak to my friend and get more detail about her particular condition.

My reason for not wanting to use maltitol is that I have read about its laxative effect and don't want that to be a concern in any of my products.

Carol

• Like 1

My reason for not wanting to use maltitol is that I have read about its laxative effect and don't want that to be a concern in any of my products.

Carol

I suspected that might be the case. I am not 100% sure that maltitol has that laxative effect (but I'm pretty sure - I don't have some of my reference material handy right now), but I know that sorbitol does. Generally, I stay away from such products and prefer to use other sugar substitutes or, as mentioned earlier, real sugar (in moderation).

Edit: OK, I took a moment to look up the subject:

"All authorities recommend using caution and definitely moderation is key.

Because they are not completely absorbed in the bowel, they have a nasty

reputation of holding onto water, and promoting diarrhea, gas and bloating.

This is politely termed the "laxative effect". Sorbitol and mannitol are the

worst offenders, maltitol and lactitol less so. The label should indicate the

serving size. This is the amount considered safe to eat before the laxative

effect takes over. So beware that overeating these foods can have serious

effects. Especially for children, who of course will experience the effect from

an even smaller amount.

Many low carbers enjoy an occasional chocolate bar or candy sweetened

with one of the sugar alcohols, and find there is no effect on their weight

loss or ketosis. Some do find it will put them in a stall. Others find they

definitely experience a blood sugar "rush" from eating even a small amount.

For a few, the laxative effect is pronounced, and even a small amount will

trigger unpleasant symptoms. This is definitely a case of YMMV (your mileage

may vary). For some low carbers, planning for one of these treats now

and then helps to stave off cravings for serious carb binges. Indeed, even

at full count, a 40 gram chocolate bar sweetened with maltitol has an

average of 12 carb grams, as opposed to regular plain chocolate with

25 carbs in a similar sized bar. Just beware that they can also trigger the

sweet cravings you hope to avoid. "

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Carol, pretty much all the sugar alcohols which are used in sugar free preparations have a laxation effect. Some have more cooling effect in the mouth than others.

I think that the suggestion - everything in moderation - is wise. So if you choose to make bonbons using sugar free chocolate - just suggest your friend not eat too much at any time.