• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best orange liqueur for chocolates

Smiley Riley

Darienne, when you are coming back across the border, stop at the duty free and pick up a couple of bottles of the 95% Everclear.  It's about $15/liter.

Thanks Kerry.

Would buying two bottles at the duty free constitute the allotment you can bring back...or can you buy it over the allowed amount. I have never bought at the duty free and we usually bring back some stuff from one of the states along the way.

Still I might convince Ed not to buy vodka along the way, but to restrict our buying to the duty free...if I understand it correctly.

:wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, when you are coming back across the border, stop at the duty free and pick up a couple of bottles of the 95% Everclear.  It's about $15/liter.

Thanks Kerry.

Would buying two bottles at the duty free constitute the allotment you can bring back...or can you buy it over the allowed amount. I have never bought at the duty free and we usually bring back some stuff from one of the states along the way.

Still I might convince Ed not to buy vodka along the way, but to restrict our buying to the duty free...if I understand it correctly.

:wub:

You can buy more - they might ask you to pay duty or they might let you get away with it.

Just last week I had occasion to taste a chocolate sauce flavored with orange.  The chef used orange oil, and I believe it was Boyajian.  (Forgive my spelling if it's wrong.)  It had a clear, intense orange flavor, and he said you don't need much at all.  This might be something to consider as an option to orange liquors.

Great idea. I picked up some LorAnn oils when I was home, but so far have only experimented with flavoring solid chocolate pieces, not ganache. A few drops go a long way.

https://www.lorannoils.com/

...a slight side-step from the 'orange' flavor, but not enough to start a new topic...

Last night we bought a bottle of Chateau Pomari's Pomegranate liqueur to try in a ganache. My next-door-neighbor/landlady/friend loves pomegranates and we are going to present it to her...and then offer to put some in a ganache for truffles. I have no doubt that we will get to taste it and work with it. :wink::wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.