• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Pearl Onions

Chris Hennes

To my dismay, upon moving to Oklahoma I discovered that frozen pearl onions are apparently not available here. At least, not at my regular grocery store (Homeland), the local Super Walmart, or the local Super Target. But they were readily available to me when I lived in Pennsylvania. So, is this a regional thing? Can you get frozen pearl onions where you live? Peeling the little suckers fresh is a damned lot of work for minimal benefit, in my opinion: I nearly always use frozen, until now!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I've never seen frozen onions. I would've put them in "why?" category along with canned potatoes, but you say they're peeled? That would save some time.

I freeze my own leeks and find they can get quite mushy but retain decent flavor. What are the frozen pearl onions like? Could they be enjoyed thawed and raw?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've never seen frozen onions. I would've put them in "why?" category along with canned potatoes, but you say they're peeled? That would save some time.

I freeze my own leeks and find they can get quite mushy but retain decent flavor. What are the frozen pearl onions like? Could they be enjoyed thawed and raw?

Like most frozen vegetables, they've been blanched, which is to say "partially cooked." Then they're individually quick-frozen, so they do retain most of their structure.

As for why (and this, I suspect, is why they're a seasonal item in some areas): many's the Thanksgiving table that would be incomplete without creamed onions. The pre-peeling represents a significant savings in time, and the soft texture of frozen onions is not much of an issue.

Having said that, this year we used larger fresh boiling onions (ping-pong ball sized), and cooked them a bit before adding the sauce and topping. I have to say that they were better than past versions using frozen pearls, and little extra trouble.

Oh, and I agree with jayhay -- they're nice as a late addition to soups and stews. Just don't try them in a traditional coq au vin.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

That's it exactly -- they save lots of time.

I wouldn't use frozen if I wanted, say, to pickle them, but as has been mentioned, they're great for soups and stews. They're my onion of choice in chicken and dumplings.

if you want to make crispy fried little onion halves for 150 people then buying frozen/pre-peeled is mandatory for sanity, which is how I discovered that they've become more rare here in Seattle. Still available in a few stores, just harder to find other than at the holidays.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Chris!

Welcome to Oklahoma! I thought I was just missing them in the grocery store! I can't seem to find them anywhere either. When I ask about them they usually direct me to the cocktail onions on the pickle aisle! I have found them before at Crest Foods, but they must have been a special order or ordered by mistake because I can't find them on a regular basis. Even the commissary at Tinker AFB doesn't carry them, and they are pretty good about ordering whatever customers ask for. I have asked, but have yet to see them!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

No problem, so far, here on the central coast of California. Maybe the tornados make shipping to OK too dangerous. They really do simplify cooking Coc au Vin, etc. to the point where using the fresh item isn't worth it. Good Luck. Keep leaning on your store manager. Everybody's looking for a way to make a buck these days.

Further to Janet's experience, in Atlanta they seem to be a seasonal thing -- they show up in mid-November; by the end of January, they're gone.

Here in Southern California my Ralphs generally only carries them during the holiday season. I'd buy them more often if they would stock them, but my guess is that I'm the exception. I live in a less-desirable area and that may influence it.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 year later...

Well, the darn little frozen buggars are only available at the local Walmart Supercenter during the late Fall and into the Winter months here in Spokane. While I find them convenient, I also don't like the fact that frozen pearl onions take on little ice particles while frozen which means when they thaw/cook they tend to get watered down and in my opinion have a watered down taste. I resign myself to just use fresh ones and suffer through having to blanch them for 20-30 seconds in hot water and then peel off the outer skin. Since I only do that once a year when I make my Mother's creamed onions for Christmas dinner I guess it's o.k.