• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbagged ice cream bases: Or How...

Scout_21

I learned to stop worrying and love the egg.

I've always loved making ice creams at home but hated the egg flavor associated with softly flavored custard ice cream bases. I used to just cook the custard to ~160 F so that the egg whites would not coagulate and strain the custard 3-4 times with a fine mesh strainer/chinois. This did prevent the egg flavor but the bases did not thicken like a proper stirred custard.

But today I finally got my 100 micron superbag. I brought the custard up to a full nappe, cooled it down, and filtered it through my fine mesh strainer three times. Then I ran it through the superbag and I was amazed at the amount of very small egg whites it removed. Also I could not detect the egg flavor normally present.

I suppose all this filtering could be solved if anyone knows of a way to remove all egg white from the yolk.

I hope this can help someone else in their ice cream endeavors.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very confused :unsure: Why don't you just seperate the egg yolks from the egg whites, after all, that is how you normally make a custard base for ice cream? If you needed to strain the base before using it I would also suggest that you have overcooked the base to start with.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I'm very confused :unsure: Why don't you just seperate the egg yolks from the egg whites, after all, that is how you normally make a custard base for ice cream? If you needed to strain the base before using it I would also suggest that you have overcooked the base to start with.

Some leftover albumen is always attached to the yolk. Also, straining a custard ice cream base for absolute clarity is a pretty standard practice.

Formerly known as "Melange"