• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butterscotch chips

scottie

Does anyone know of a brand of butterscotch chips that does not contain nasty stuff like hydrogenated oil and artificial coloring and flavor?

I want to bake some cookies for Christmas that I loved when my mom made them back in the day, but Hershey's and Nestle butterscotch chips and the like are full of nastiness.

Any ideas?

You might try Guittard butterscotch chips if you can find them. They are made without trans fats, although they DO contain artificial colors and flavors. (But natural vanilla)

Butterscotch chips are one of those unfortunate ingredients that most companies don't make very well. I don't think they are popular enough, so they aren't a priority.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow