• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining near Rockefeller Center

Lemons

My wife and I are taking four out-of-towners to do the tourist thing on Monday the 22nd. We plan to see the tree, visit Saint Patrick's, look at the stores on 5th Avenue and then have something to eat mid to late afternoon.

Everyone in the group enjoys good Italian, but we are not limited to it. A moderately priced restaurant would be nice and if at all possible, in order to be flexible, we would prefer not to make reservations. Is that possible at that time?

It doesn't have to be in that exact area - we can walk a few blocks to find the right place. Any suggestions?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before - I didn't see any recent posts.

Anthos is right around there and I have never had a bad meal there before. Since you said you were looking for an Italian place, Alto is at 53rd and Madison, although I am not sure how early they open.

Edited by Ochowie (log)

I wouldn't call either of those places moderately priced.

NOTE TO LEMONS:  That is probably the very worst part of NYC for moderately priced food.

Yeah. That is right in the heart of the expense account zone (which I am on so my perception is skewed) so prices are going to be high for just about every restaurant in that area.

A moderately priced restaurant would be nice and if at all possible...

Can you clarify what "moderately priced" means to you? Some people think that entrées in the mid-twenties are "moderate," and others think that's "expensive." And occasionally people have expectations that are quite simply impossible.

If you want to turn this into pre-theater type event, then there are some deals to be had. You can probably just barely get out of Anthos with their pre-theater meal for $60/person all in. Then again, I thought my recent meal there was good but far from great. You might try Abocatto, too. I've never been but have heard good things.

Although the food served in the back is mostly typical tourist NY italian fare (which seems to work for many that are not foodies, not my bag though), the plain pizza served in the bar area and the red apple martini made with house infused vodka are actually quite tasty at Alfredo of Rome, and have served me quite well in a pinch.

Lemons, if you're willing to go west to 9th Av., that would open up a whole bunch of moderately-priced restaurants that are undoubtedly mentioned in the Pre-Theater thread.

Michael aka "Pan"