• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Genin

boston

Jacques Genin has opened a shop at 133 Rue de Turenne. 0145772901.

He is still keeping the old one going I believe. I do not know if he will still allow others into the factory with a call now that he has a shop.

That was a great experience ala Wille Wonka!

Does anyone know?

Thanks. Boston

Oh, my. Practically in my neighborhood. I could walk there, but even then it wouldn't justify the calories.

I visited his atelier several years ago and managed to get in. I spent over half an hour not guessing correctly most of the flavors he fed me. Then I was amazed at his caramels. They were the first I've ever liked, perhaps because they were light, not densely chewy. (I`ve not tried the caramelized butter mousse truffles at Maison du Chocolat, however, because I just heard of them.) He allowed (!) me to buy a half kilo to take home at a very reasonable price.

But now I will no longer be among the privileged few. Sigh. Everyone can go to the new shop.

It remains to be seen, judged, and of course disputed whether the myth of Jacques Genin can live up to reality and the competition of the likes of Maison du Chocolat, Jean Paul Hévin, and Pierre Hermé.

Edited by RandyB (log)

I couldn`t wait! I just zoomed over to the new boutique. It is gorgeous. The charming server Anne offered me several tastes, including a red tea in dark chocolate that showcases the Genin subtlety. In this respect he is in the category of M. Linxe.

The same subtlety can be found in the unusually light caramels, although I only tasted the ginger one. I was hoping for the mango-passionfruit, but it had not yet emerged from the laboratory/factory upstairs.

I did not try the pastries or the hot chocolate, but would certainly enjoy sitting in the cafe another time.

I couldn`t wait! I just zoomed over to the new boutique. It is gorgeous. The charming server Anne offered me several tastes, including a red tea in dark chocolate that showcases the Genin subtlety. In this respect he is in the category of M. Linxe.

The same subtlety can be found in the unusually light caramels, although I only tasted the ginger one. I was hoping for the mango-passionfruit, but it had not yet emerged from the laboratory/factory upstairs.

I did not try the pastries or the hot chocolate, but would certainly enjoy sitting in the cafe another time.

We just came back from there but luckier than you Randy, because we were able to buy the mangue/fruit dela passion. Almost fainted when we didn't see the flavor on the counter but my friend, Lilia, had to ask. Imagine coming all the way from San Francisco and going home without her favorite caramels which she first tasted at Le Comptoir (Yves Camdeborde - mango flavor only). Guess what? It was in the refrigerated section. As explained it is so light and delicate in flavor that those caramels need to be refrigerated.

With the new, beautiful shop with modern clean lines, his prices went way up. Caramels are 110 euros/kilo; nougats are 130 euros/kilo. The chocolates we tasted wwere divine but the caramels, we've never tasted anything like it. Monsieur Le Roux, move over. Believe me, these caramels have the lightest most delicate feel in one's mouth. BRAVO, MONSIEUR GENIN!!!!

You are lucky! They did tell me that today was the likely day for the mange-passion. Unfortunately, I could not go today. Instead, I was learning to make a Bûche de Noël (for me, a Chanukah Yule Log) with chocolate and raspberry.

Tomorrow or Friday I`ll go back to Genin.

• 3 months later...

I took a different route while walking home from the Marais today and ran smack in to Jacques Genin and couldn't resist stopping by. The shop itself is luxurious, more like a chic jewellery boutique than a caramel and chocolate shop. I bought a small sachet of passion-mangue caramels (which were a whopping 17 €) and two pastries- a caramel éclair and lemon tart. They had a few other pastries: a beautiful Paris Brest, raspberry tart, and a caramel tart. They also have exquisite chocolates, packaged up in attractive silver boxes. All of this can be bought from the shop or sampled sur place with a half dozen teas to go with. A woman behind the counter was most helpful, explaining that the atelier, which was once located in the 15th, is now above the shop, meaning that everything is made in small batches in-house. She offered caramels to try and one bite of the ginger caramel explained the high-price tag as these are unlike any caramels you are likely to try.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I took a different route while walking home from the Marais today and ran smack in to Jacques Genin and couldn't resist stopping by.  The shop itself is luxurious, more like a chic jewellery boutique than a caramel and chocolate shop.    I bought a small sachet of passion-mangue caramels (which were a whopping 17 €) and two pastries- a caramel éclair and lemon tart.  They had a few other pastries:  a beautiful Paris Brest, raspberry tart, and a caramel tart.  They also have exquisite chocolates, packaged up in attractive silver boxes.  All of this can be bought from the shop or sampled sur place with a half dozen teas to go with.  A woman behind the counter was most helpful, explaining that the atelier, which was once located in the 15th, is now above the shop, meaning that everything is made in small batches in-house.  She offered caramels to try and one bite of the ginger caramel explained the high-price tag as these are unlike any caramels you are likely to try.

17 € ! Wow! May I ask about the quantity (grams)?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I took a different route while walking home from the Marais today and ran smack in to Jacques Genin and couldn't resist stopping by.  The shop itself is luxurious, more like a chic jewellery boutique than a caramel and chocolate shop.    I bought a small sachet of passion-mangue caramels (which were a whopping 17 €) and two pastries- a caramel éclair and lemon tart.  They had a few other pastries:  a beautiful Paris Brest, raspberry tart, and a caramel tart.  They also have exquisite chocolates, packaged up in attractive silver boxes.  All of this can be bought from the shop or sampled sur place with a half dozen teas to go with.  A woman behind the counter was most helpful, explaining that the atelier, which was once located in the 15th, is now above the shop, meaning that everything is made in small batches in-house.  She offered caramels to try and one bite of the ginger caramel explained the high-price tag as these are unlike any caramels you are likely to try.

This is such an awesome shop! Everything is excellent or better at Génin, but I think that's really with chocolates that he excels. I only bought some the fourth time I went, but it may now as well be my favorite chocolatier (with Chaudun and a few others for specific things).

As for the (plain) caramels, I found that they are almost identical as the one they offer with coffee at Le Cinq.

There's a thread about destination restaurants: well, this is a destination shop/salon de thé.

This is such an awesome shop! Everything is excellent or better at Génin, but I think that's really with chocolates that he excels. I only bought some the fourth time I went, but it may now as well be my favorite chocolatier (with Chaudun and a few others for specific things).

As for the (plain) caramels, I found that they are almost identical as the one they offer with coffee at Le Cinq.

There's a thread about destination restaurants: well, this is a destination shop/salon de thé.

Since Genin supplies about 200 establishments (or he did before the his new shop), I wouldn't be surprised if he makes them for Le Cinq.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

17 € !  Wow!  May I ask about the quantity (grams)?

Not very many! Maybe 120 grams.

I'm making 150g Sachets of caramels in various flavors. The thing that's so difficult and takes so long is the packaging - very tedious.

John DePaula
--------------------

13 or 14 pieces, 150-160 gms. I can't be sure because I don't remember if we ate 3 or 4, and I have 12 left.

Note that the passion-mangue are the only ones that have to stay in the fridge, and they really do lose their flavor in a week or so.

Edited by RandyB (log)

17 € !  Wow!  May I ask about the quantity (grams)?

Not very many! Maybe 120 grams.

Wow, the price has gone up a lot (or maybe they charge more because of fancy packaging). When I used to buy them at the atelier (after calling first) they were 70 euros for a kilo.

The passion-fruit mango caramels are wonderful but yes, the flavour does fade. I found some in the back of the wine fridge that I'd bought about a year ago and while the texture was still lovely, there wasn't any fruit flavour.

The passion-fruit mango caramels are wonderful but yes, the flavour does fade. I found some in the back of the wine fridge that I'd bought about a year ago and while the texture was still lovely, there wasn't any fruit flavour.

Yes, they said 2 weeks max in the refriderator for the passion fruit mango caramels.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com