• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Sieve of Flour

debkauz

I have a friend who has a recipe from her Greatgrandmother that calls for a sieve of flour as an amount. It's been suggested that it may have been her grandmother's measurement in her own recipe. Has anyone heard of this as an actual measurement? Thanks for your help!

Grandma wrote that herself, and she had a specific sieve in mind...and I'm sure that sieve is long gone.

I have dozens of recipes that call for things like 'butter the size of an egg' and 'one blue glass of flour' and my personal favorite, 'an Ike pinch of salt'. Ike being my dad, who was, apparently, enlisted to help his sisters in the house once in a while :smile:

Show us the recipe and we can probably help you figure out an amount based on liquid ingredients and whatnot.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten