• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago dog garnishes

Im catering an opening night reception for "Hellcab" and they want Italian Beef, deep dish pizza and Chicago Hot dogs as part of the spread. Any advice or other Chicago street food ideas

would greatly be appreciated. Especially about which garnishes are really required. Many Thanks

Im catering an opening night reception for "Hellcab" and they want Italian Beef, deep dish pizza and Chicago Hot dogs as part of the spread.  Any advice or other Chicago street food ideas

would greatly be appreciated. Especially about which garnishes are really required. Many Thanks

Does anybody have any ideas for me?

Wikipedia on Chicago hot dogs

A Chicago hot dog should be all-beef with mustard, onions, pickle spear, sweet relish, cucumbers, tomatoes, sport peppers and celery salt.

No ketchup!

Well, that's almost right. According to Vienna Beef, the Holy 7 are:

Pickle Spear

Celery Salt

Yellow Mustard

Sport Pepppers

Tomato

Neon Green Relish

Onion

No Ketchup!

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Are you sure no (un-pickled) cucumbers? It's been 8 long years since I lived near enough to Chicago to get a Chicago dog, but I could've sworn they had cucumbers.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Wikipedia on Chicago hot dogs

A Chicago hot dog should be all-beef with mustard, onions, pickle spear, sweet relish, cucumbers, tomatoes, sport peppers and celery salt.

No ketchup!

Well, that's almost right. According to Vienna Beef, the Holy 7 are:

Pickle Spear

Celery Salt

Yellow Mustard

Sport Pepppers

Tomato

Neon Green Relish

Onion

No Ketchup!

=R=

Thanks for the replies. Wikipedia was also my only source for fixins, so I had everything except (the neon part) of the relish. The New Yorkers at the event ate up the onions pronto and not many folks went for the cucumbers. I Did have kraut and ketsup available (even after reading it was a no no), and noticed lots of folks used them both.

I was told by two Chicagoans that I nailed the Italian beef and deep dish pizza, I used a five star internet recipe for thr beef and a friends' deep dish dough recipe. I don't know why I get so obsessed with authentic...but I do.

Are you sure no (un-pickled) cucumbers? It's been 8 long years since I lived near enough to Chicago to get a Chicago dog, but I could've sworn they had cucumbers.

Totally possible that wherever you used to frequent did it that way because a lot of places have their own variations but the 7 I listed and linked to are considered to be 'the 7.'

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com