• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SBS Food Safari

Ce'nedra

Who else watches this show? I'm not sure if it's shown outside of Australia, but I saw Chinese-subtitled versions of the show posted on youtube (check it out if you haven't already done so!).

I'm absolutely obsessed with Food Safari! The show gives an excellent overview of the various world cuisines (though I must admit the Chinese ep. was a little lacking). The website (http://www.sbs.com.au/food/foodsafari) provides recipes to the dishes demonstrated on the show too.

Anyway, going back to watching it on tv right this moment. IT'S THE 3RD SEASON!

Today's episode is about South American cuisne :)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I love Food Safari! Even though it's about various foreign cuisines, strangely it feels very 'Australian' to me. I think it's because of the number of times people on the show remind me of my friends' parents growing up.

I always cringe internally if someone asks me to do something on a Wednesday night -- that's cooking show night! (I'm sure if they knew this they'd cringe externally)

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Speaking of Australian food TV, do you happen to remember Channel 9's Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares-inspired show 'The Chopping Block'? It wasn't very good, but I laughed when I saw that the Egyptian chef who made dukkah on this week's Food Safari was a former chopping block loser!

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

• 1 month later...
Speaking of Australian food TV, do you happen to remember Channel 9's Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares-inspired show 'The Chopping Block'? It wasn't very good, but I laughed when I saw that the Egyptian chef who made dukkah on this week's Food Safari was a former chopping block loser!

Really? That's hilarious. Anyway, the Chopping Block was okay without being great - it was never essential food TV for me. There were two episodes that I would have loved to have seen, both involving a fall in grace by the chef. The first had a chef that once held a chefs hat from the Age Good Food Guide. The second had a chef that used to work for Matt Moran at Aria, but walked out during service one night, and never returned.

I haven't been as keen on Food Safari as I have been in previous years. I think they're running out of cuisines to cover. If you're covering a culture that doesn't have a large presence in Australia, you're unlikely to find some top quality food.

We did catch the edition on U.S. food in Australia, and as a result, we went to one of the restaurants featured. What looked great on TV turned out to be somewhat disappointing when we ate there a week later. We did have a chat to the owner, and she said that the exposure on Food Safari resulted in a significant increase in her business - especially from ex-pat Americans looking for a hit of diner food.

For Meave O'Meara fans, you should also check out her previous show, Food Lovers Guide To Australia.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"