• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokin' diary

Dave the Cook

While nosing around, I found this site which was useful propaganda :laugh:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.shtml

Thanks for all the comments, Col.! I appreciate the caveats. I do have space for the chargriller and wood and both immediate neighbors use their fireplaces so they shouldn't complain too much about smoke. Not sure about a wood supply, but it shouldn't be too difficult (SF Bay Area). I do have a bunch of oak lying around too. Anything special I should be concerned about?

Are you saying the Chargriller won't work with charcoal though? Or just that you're not using it to its full advantage by using charcoal instead of wood? And the bullet won't work with all wood? I hadn't even thought about that until you mentioned it.

The two rigs are virtually the same price, so that's not a factor. The Bullet seems easier and requires less maintenance, but the Chargriller is more versatile, holds more, and is better if you know what you're doing (not that I'll necessarily ever get to that level). Sheesh, this is a pain. Or am I just making it more difficult than it needs to be? :wacko:

As for the oak, it makes for great smoking wood. Just don't use softwood, only hardwood.

The smokin' pro can definitely work with coals, but since I already have access to a webber I never bothered grillling with my smokin' pro. You can use the bullet with real firewood but you have to chop it into the chunks becuase of the dimensions so it would be a real pain in the tukhes whereas the side fire box can easily accept 14" to 16" lengths of firewood.

Also, real fires put out more heat than briquettes and the side fire box is great for dissipating the extra heat. I haven't tried nor heard of using firewood with a bullet but I imagine you'd have a hard time keeping the fire lit and the bullet cool enough to smoke for long periods.

I'm sorry if it sounds like the smokin' pro is too difficult to use. I was able to make some truly outstanding pork the first time and I had never smoked before. I just knew I needed to brine it and keep the temp around 225. That's all you really need to know, the fun is getting it to and keeping it at 225. The previous post was more for letting you know that the smokin' pro does need more attention than the bullet. Personally I hope you go for smokin' pro but I certainly won't knock you for getting the bullet especially if you smoke more with it.