• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary School Grads Futures

Timh

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/200...-the-pushcarts/

When you think of how many grads all of the culinary programs across the country are pumping out each year, and the economy the way it is, the foreseeable future seems bleak. On one interesting note, talking to some of my chef friends, there seems to be a small but growing trend of reverse migration of many of our Brazilian kitchen workers due to the tough economy here and the improved economic situation there.

Edited by Timh (log)

Wow, things are bad. Hold on to your toque.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Wow, things are bad.  Hold on to your toque.

Jmahl

Yeah -- I know in Baltimore, many places have been shrinking or closing up altogether.. the purveyors call US now for their orders, haha. Luckily my kitchen is in a good location with reasonable fare and a loyal crowd... we actually had our most profitable night not a month ago. So.. better not break anything :raz:

Rico

Culinary school grads (and I was one in 1984) can look forward to hazing, smirks, robbery of mise en place, and general hostile greetings from established cooks in established kitchens.

If you really want to work in a decent kitchen there will always be one around. And they will always be staffed with people that know how to survive.

Work hard and smart, give as good as you get, learn Spanish, and don't brown nose too much.

Before you know it you get to put away the produce order.

Culinary school grads (and I was one in 1984) can look forward to hazing, smirks, robbery of mise en place, and general hostile greetings from established cooks in established kitchens.

If you really want to work in a decent kitchen there will always be one around. And they will always be staffed with people that know how to survive.

Work hard and smart, give as good as you get, learn Spanish, and don't brown nose too much.

Before you know it you get to put away the produce order.

If you read the link, this topic has more to do with the economy and what people have to look forward to with regard to job availability and pay.

I have to agree with most, $13/hour isn't bad at all. I started in SF and was making $9/hour out of school. Didn't go up that much when I became salaried, especially when you factor in how many hours management puts in!