• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sketch - Lecture Room & Library

Dinner here last Thursday.

Everything you have probably heard about Sketch is....true.

The decor is something else (I like it); the food is delicious; and it is the most expensive meal I have had in London.

It is difficult to pick a favourite dish, everything was very tasty.

The cooking was expert, the flavours were bold and bright and ingredients, top draw.

Service was also impeccable.

My Dinner at Sketch

Special surprise on the night too.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for the review!

Something I always find gets lost in any talk about Sketch is their lunch deal which I reckon is one of the better value ones in London (Foliage being another of my favourites).

Although the 'gourmet rapide' menu reads 3 courses for something like £35, if you order the desert selection instead of cheese and count all the plates that land on the table over the course of the meal including amuses and petit fours, there's usually at least 10 plates worth of food to work through.

They say the cheap lunch offer is for people too busy to stop for a proper lunch. I fear the amount of food you'd get in a proper lunch.

You're welcome.

Definitely true...both have excellent offers. I believe the Foliage offer is for four courses at £29.

I check the Sketch one regularly and the dishes are always interesting and exciting.

It is served within one hour - 'Gourmet Rapide'.

lol..you get your money's worth; they are certainly not stingy!

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

• 3 months later...

A girlfriend is going to England with me and this will be her first time there. I've been so many times that I never bother with afternoon tea in London, but I know it's something she'll want to do. I was thinking we'd go to Sketch rather than one of the traditional places like Brown's or Fortnum's. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

A girlfriend is going to England with me and this will be her first time there.  I've been so many times that I never bother with afternoon tea in London, but I know it's something she'll want to do.  I was thinking we'd go to Sketch rather than one of the traditional places like Brown's or Fortnum's.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

You're better of with one of the trad places.

Now if you're going on a straight hunt for the best cakes or nicest macarons I'd definitely recommend sketch. The patisserie is some of the best in London (tho that's not saying much) and the macs kick ladurees arse.

However for afternoon tea you want the whole shebang - bone china, cucumber sandwiches, silver plated cake stands, comfy seats and maybe violins in the corner. Sketch parlour can do bits and pieces of that but it's not full English so to speak - it's not meant to be.

So tea - a nice phat hotel. Cakes - Sketch.

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 8 months later...

There is another thread on here titled Sketch, London (sorry can't link it) and Ameiden had a meal a couple of weeks ago, not sure if it was lunch or not.

Wish that there were more reports on the place as I really now want to visit it too.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1