• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Safety of colors for Chocolates

Paola

I have been making some chocolates with colored cocoa butter (from chefrubber, jewel & artisan collections) and also using plain cocoa butter with "metallic" luster dust. A food engineer just recently expressed some concern regarding the use of these colors, telling me that completely covering a bonbon in color would be unsafe. I started out experimenting with colors after reading through the "Chocolate with a showroom finish" thread, and haven't done anything more "colorful" than other chocolates posted in that thread. I also haven't seen many references to a health safety concern of these products in the forum. Does anyone have any scientific information about the health impact of using colored cocoa butter or luster dust? Thanks!

hungryburro.com-- tasty healthy food from around the world

I'm not smart enough to be scientific but your engineer buddy is.

Luster dust is non-toxic so if ingested it doesn't roto-rooter your gizzard. However it is not an edible product. So it should be used sparingly on decor rather than on edibles.

The ChefRubber colored cocoa butters are FDA approved. I'm not sure what makes the Jewel ones sparkly, but the Artisan colors are just cocoa butter with artificial FDA numbered colors (ie. red 40, yellow 2, etc).

Now, people may have all sorts of concerns about artificial colors, but they are FDA approved (for now, anyway).

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Also they have the organic line of colors, I havent try them my self yet, maybe when I get some more business I will try them out. I remember we talked about luster dust on another thread , maybe was the chocolate with showroom finish etc, about some kind of colors be less safe than other or something like that. I usually get the luster dust that have the non toxic label, usually no greens or blues, but again they are for decoration only so should be used in moderations.

Vanessa

From what I know the lustre dusts and colours are the same as those used in cosmetics. My knowledge is from making Mineral makeup.

There are colours which are suitable for eyes, lips face and nails and those which are suitable for all except for the lips and/or eyes (which one wouldnt use for lipstick or food). These colourants are made from mica which is covered and or mixed with (for eg) Iron oxide/titanium oxide/copper/zinc/silicone dioxide.

Ive checked the ingredients and the look/effect of the powders that come in the teeny tubes for confectionary decoration with the ones I use for making the mineral makeup and they are (to me) the same.

They are safe in small/limited amounts such as the amount one would absorb through wearing them or licking them off ones lips but not as a food stuff.

Please remember Im not an expert.

There is a line of FDA approved dusts that you can buy from Cal-Java or Pfeil and Holing; I haven't tried them but the difference is that these new dusts are ok for food use, where the other ones you already know say non-toxic, not meant as a food additive.

From what I remember, the dusts are mostly silver and white.

There is a line of FDA approved dusts that you can buy from Cal-Java or Pfeil and Holing; I haven't tried them but the difference is that these new dusts are ok for food use, where the other ones you already know say non-toxic, not meant as a food additive.

From what I remember, the dusts are mostly silver and white.

ChefRubber has them too - they call them FDA Approved Pearl Dusts.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Also they have the organic line of colors, I havent try them my self yet, maybe when I get some more business I will try them out. I remember we talked about luster dust on another thread , maybe was the chocolate with showroom finish etc, about some kind of colors be less safe than other or something like that. I usually get the luster dust that have the non toxic label, usually no greens or blues, but again they are for decoration only so should be used in moderations.

There's less variety in the natural colors, and no shimmery jewels. And, they are about twice the price. I have one bottle of natural red now, and may switch to the others as I run out of things - but at my current pace of use, that's probably not for another 3 years. :biggrin: A little goes a long way.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

There's less variety in the natural colors, and no shimmery jewels. And, they are about twice the price. I have one bottle of natural red now, and may switch to the others as I run out of things - but at my current pace of use, that's probably not for another 3 years. :biggrin: A little goes a long way.

Yes I think the reason why I havent try them yet :raz: unfortunatelly I am addicted to metal colors ( in all my arts not only in chocolates ) maybe I will order one next time to check it out, as you said the are more expensive as well.

Vanessa