• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Paris Restaurants for under 70 Euros

hardiemarc

Hello everyone,

I will be in Paris this forth coming Christmas and I am hoping to get members feedback as to where the best places to eat in Paris are located for under 70 Euros/person.  Your help is much appreciated!

Hello,

You're probably better off posting this in the European / France / Dining section.

Depending where you're staying, I really like Le Dome du Marais. Fixed lunch menu is about 35 euros, it's a beautiful old building with a romantic glass dome and the staff are wonderful and don't care if you don't speak French.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/g...d=41102&id=5829

Sarah

Sarah

You mean, open during the holiday? That depends on your precise dates, as most restaurants take at least a few days off and many take two weeks off.

For instance Chez l'Ami Jean reopens Jan 2, but la Régalade not before the 5th. Ches Christophe will be open except wed and thu as usual. L'Auberg Bressane closes 24&25 and 31&1. La Table de JR (weekday lunch menu 55bi) is open everday. Fish only closes on the 25th. Itinéraires is closed from the 24th to the 30th. I would add l'Acajou to that list, but I have no idea what the christmas holiday policy is.

Hello everyone,

I will be in Paris this forth coming Christmas and I am hoping to get members feedback as to where the best places to eat in Paris are located for under 70 Euros/person. Your help is much appreciated!

I assume you've checked the two topics of Christmas and Christmas/New Years week.

A query to refine your question: 70 E or less is all included (eg beverages?)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is of great interest to me as well, as I'll be arriving in Paris on New Year's Eve and leaving on the 6th, thus managing to miss such desired tables as Pierre Gagnaire and Le Timbre.

Here's what I've found out so far:

Les Fine Gueules reopens on January 2nd

Le Timbre reopens on January 6th

Spring reopens on January 5th

Carte Blanche has a 100 Euro NYE menu, but is closed on the 1st

Pierre Gagnaire reopens on January 7th

I'm delighted to read that Itinéraires will be re-opening before I arrive, but I am curious to see what other bistros of interest might be open.

"Sauce separates you from the money. Make a good sauce, you make the money."

-- James Willis

• 2 weeks later...
You mean, open during the holiday? That depends on your precise dates, as most restaurants take at least a few days off and many take two weeks off.

Fish only closes on the 25th.

I had dinner at the bar at Fish last night and their last night before the holiday is tomorrow (Sunday) and they reopen Friday, 2 Jan.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Im in the same boat, seeking decent food without the need for a mega bank loan (yeah right!) Been checking out various michelin places and thought some menu prices were a miss print. i.e 160 euro's for a starter dish. Who the hell can afford such prices? Definately looks like the michelin circuit is out, unless somebody knows otherwise.

160€ for a starter?? Where did you see that? 160FF maybe? Have you an outdated guide??

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Im in the same boat, seeking decent food without the need for a mega bank loan (yeah right!) Been checking out various michelin places and thought some menu prices were a miss print. i.e 160 euro's for a starter dish. Who the hell can afford such prices? Definately looks like the michelin circuit is out, unless somebody knows otherwise.

The places I gave above are all about 100-110 Euros for two with wine and coffee. 160 E for a starter?: I too am curious where?

John Talbott

Well unless I've completely misunderstood the euro symbol,( which I hope I have, even if it does make me look a dickhead!), the 160 euro starter in question is at Resturant Le Meurice, Paris, which hasn't been a one off. Im a little confused now, are menu's etc in Paris priced in euro's of French francs?

Not at all-everything has been in Euros for years now. Just 160€ sounded high for a starter, even at the Meurice, or indeed any of the top restaurants, unless they're smothered with caviar or truffles...

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Question answered:

CRISPY HEN EGG YOLK WITH GOLDEN OSCETRA CAVIAR 160 €

Acid green apple jelly with aniseeds

blog

Lunch bi at La Table de JR(**), 55eur. Lunch bi at LE Paris, Hotel Lutetia (*), 60eur. Lunch at Lasserre (**), 75eur.

While we're at it, I don't believe that the question has a better response than the usual suspects: la Régalade, l'Ami Jean, Christophe, plus le Sévero and l'AOC for meat lovers. There are some I don't know of course but the others I know just can't compete.

Edited by julot-les-pinceaux (log)

Thats the one! I realise this has probably been asked a ton of times but are there ANY Michelin standard restaurants to be had in Paris, whereby one can eat for the equvelient of £50- £60 sterling, per head?

I don't know what you mean by a "Michelin standard" restaurant but the one-star Ze Kitchen Galerie is (as I said before) about 100 Euros per couple with wine and coffee.

John Talbott

Michelin has an extended list of "Bib Gourmand" and other restaurants offering set menus for under 35E. I might quibble with a few of the choices, and there is quite a range in quality, depending on location primarily (rents etc). Only a few would be considered "destination" spots, but the list is long and offers many options for wherever you are staying.

Thats the one! I realise this has probably been asked a ton of times but are there ANY Michelin standard restaurants to be had in Paris, whereby one can eat for the equvelient of £50- £60 sterling, per head?

I don't know what you mean by a "Michelin standard" restaurant but the one-star Ze Kitchen Galerie is (as I said before) about 100 Euros per couple with wine and coffee.

My guess is that you will only do this at lunchtime unless they now do the menu in the evening. On both my visits it was ALC and the price climbs.

My guess is that you will only do this at lunchtime unless they now do the menu in the evening. On both my visits it was ALC and the price climbs.

Your guess is correct; for 20 years Colette and I have been eating our "main" meal out at noontime and a light supper back home. So I shoot and usually tout places that cost 100 E a couple (with wine).

John Talbott

....for 20 years Colette and I have been eating our "main" meal out at noontime and a light supper back home.  So I shoot and usually tout places that cost 100 E a couple (with wine).

Without derailing the topic, I need to add that while I realize that your approach is the reasonable one and in fact the truly French way to dine, it works best for those with an apartment or other evening entertainment venue. Unfortunately, dinner is our major evening entertainment. While we do very occasionally enjoy our major meal at mid-day, it does leave a gaping hole in the remains of our day. With no need for more than a glass and a nibble during the evening, it's a long time between, say, 4pm and midnight. :sad:

eGullet member #80.