• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pecan & Sweet Potato Pie

OrleansAg

I tried a Pecan Pie recipe from Cooks Illustrated. The crust was great, but the pie filling was not as good as I would have liked. Flavor-wise. I was wondering if anyone has any recipes they would recommend or share. Also, while I'm at it, I'm looking for a great sweet potato pie recipe.

I posted James McNair's recipe for sweet potato pie in the sweet potato pie thread below. It's the best I've tried. The two of us usually polish the whole pie off in one day!

His pecan pie is also the best I've tried, too. I use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of light corn syrup in pecan pie. I don't care for dark corn syrup pies at all.

I could have sworn there was already a pecan pie thread as well. Anyway, my favorite is this one from Dean Fearing

http://www.starchefs.com/features/memorial.../fear_pie.shtml

You're right, there are several pecan pie threads.

My recipe for Bourbon Pecan Pie is in this one: The Pecan Pie Topic

-----

ETA: search results for titles with Pecan Pie.

There are many interesting subjects, including troubleshooting pecan pie recipes and "What makes Pecan Pie southern?"

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Found this in the Washington Post just before Thanksgiving and gave it a shot. Loved it. It's got the highest pecan:goop ratio I've come across. It was way nutty and not at all cloying as some pecan pies can be.

I used a slightly different flaky pastry recipe, but this filling. Toasted the nuts before adding.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes...pie/?s_pos=list

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

This is Paul Proudommes recipe..

SWEET POTATO PECAN

POTATO

4 C COOKED SWEET POTATO

1 C BROWN SUGAR

½ C SUGAR

2 EGGS

¼ C CREAM

¼ C MELTED BUTTER

¼ C VANILLA

1 t SALT & CINN

½ t ALLSPICE & NUTMEG

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS.

PECAN

3 C SUGAR

3 C CORN SYRUP

8 EGGS

6 T MELTED BUTTER

3 T VANILLA

1 T SALT & CINN

3 C PECAN PIECES

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS EXCEPT PECANS.

PIPE A THIN LAYER OF POTATO MIXTURE INTO A RAW TART SHELL. MIX SOME OF THE PECAN MIXTURE WITH SOME PECANS AND SPOON OVER POTATO AND BAKE TILL SET.