• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite 'winter' drinks?

Graphix

when the weather gets cold, i start to crave a whiskey skin. use a good islay and the steam coming off the mug makes the whole house smell like a salty breeze coming off the sea (or iodine, as my wife insists).

also, mulled apple cider (the brown non-alcoholic kind that comes in gallon milk jugs that you can get all over the east coast), with a generous shot of homemade rock and rye. why can't you get cider on the west coast (just moved there)?

I like to switch to darker, more complex spirits when the weather gets cold out. A good dram of smoky scotch or mezcal does wonders to warm cold bones. Of course, a nice Grand Marnier or Sambuca with a strong, dark roast black coffee also does the trick!

As mixed drinks go, we serve a version of the White Russian made with coconut cream...tastes like a toasted marshmallow!

Bartender @ Balliceaux, Richmond, Va

"An Irish Lie is just as good as the truth."

- Egan Dean, Table 6 cook

I love a good Sidecar (either with Cognac, Calvados or aged Applejack) when it gets cooler out. If I'm in the mood for something sweet then a hot cider with hooch-of-my-choosing or a hot cocoa with something sweet in it. Hot cocoa with Amaretto (Luxardo is my fave) or Cointreau is delicious. Anything that tastes good as a candy bar can be converted to liquid form if you just think about the flavors. If you like Mounds bars then add Malibu rum to your cocoa. If you're an Almond Joy fan then add some Amaretto as well. Peppermint Pattys? Add some peppermint schnapps to your hot cocoa. The possibilities are virtually endless.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I am a big fan of sidecars in the winter. Hold the sugared rim please.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I'm still tinkering with my "Noël" , a cross between the Alexander and Widow's Kiss

1 1/2 ozs apple brandy

1 oz Bénédictine

1 oz cream

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake hard, double strain, top w/ground nutmeg

(this can also be made splitting the ounce of Bénédictine into 1/2oz Bénédictine, 1/2 oz St. E's Allspice Dram)

For me, a good Winter drink is anything brown and served neat. Preferably Scotch.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Just pulled out some of my favorite winter drinks. It is always a challenge to find a gin drink that is good when the mercury starts to drop. Then there is the rich stuff, egg yolk or whole egg. And then the Brown and Stirred.

20th Century

1.5 oz Plymouth Gin

.75 oz White Crème de Cacao

.75 oz Lillet Blonde

.75 oz Lemon Juice

Glass: Coupe

Garnish: None

Ice: None

Shake. Strain. Serve up.

41 Jane Doe’s

1 oz Laird’s Applejack

1 oz Rothman & Winter Pear Liqueur

.75 oz Lemon Juice

.75 oz Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

Garnish: 7 drops Grandma’s Tinksure

Mime shake. Add KD ice. Shake. Strain. Serve up.

The Berliner

1.5 oz Bombay Dry Gin

.75 oz Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur

.25 oz Gilka Kummel

.5 oz lemon juice

.25 oz Simple Syrup (Fat)

1 Egg Yolk

15 drops Regan's Orange Bitters

Glass: Collins

Garnish: Lemon Twist, 9 Drops Angostura Bitters

Ice: Crushed Ice ¾ Full

Mime shake. Add KD. Shake hard 3-5 times. Strained onto fresh crushed ice.

Chapuline

1 oz Crème de Cacao White

.5 oz Crème de Menthe Green

1.0 oz Pisco

1 oz Heavy Cream

Garnish: Float 1 mint leaf then spank the mint

Shake Hard. Stain. Serve up.

Irish Pirate

2 oz Red Breast Irish Whiskey

.25 oz Demerara Syrup

9 drops Ango Bitters

Rinse: Sailor Jerry’s Rum

Glass: Rocks

Garnish: None

Ice: Chunk

Rinse Sailor Jerry’s. Add rest of the ingredients. Stir to incorporate demerara. Add chunk ice. Stir.

Yum,

Drinking in the winter is so very, very different to the summer cocktails.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Great list, but pray tell what is

Garnish: 7 drops Grandma’s Tinksure

?

Also here to report that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Snowshoe from Dr. Cocktail's latest Imbibe column, even with cheap DeKuyper Peppermint schnapps a friend gave you a few years ago when he was moving away. Mmmm.

ETA: Nothing wrong with the Schnapps so long as it's 100 proof, that is. I guess the same goes for most spirits.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I am a big fan of sidecars in the winter.  Hold the sugared rim please.

Amen to holding the sugar. I'm right there with you on that one....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ooo, I haven't tried it without the sugar. You'd think my non-sweet-toothed self would have thought of that by now. *makes mental note to do so* The last one I ordered in a bar arrived with the rim only sugared on one half, which happily gives the drinker the choice.

I've just finished a rather satisfying Virgin Mary, which seems like it would be a great winter drink. (I'd normally do it with chilli vodka, but I have a head cold. Which is a bloody shame, really :wink: )

Hey, my sig will be topical for this one...

There Will Be Bloody Marys

I've been drinking hot toddies:

3 oz boiling water

2 oz Laphroig 10y

1 t demerara

My mom used to always burn piney, smokey incense during Christmas to compliment the smell of the tree. Instead of that, I've been drinking these hot toddies that sweeten the air with their smokiness and combine with the scent of the tree: instant nostalgia.

nunc est bibendum...

:wub: Very unsophisticated here. Named after our farm.

Road's End Farm Coffee (affectionately called a Frothy Coffee)

hot decaf coffee, cocoa mix (the supermarket kind with sugar in it), and a jigger mixed of vodka and a liqueuer, or a jigger of just liqueur. Might include Panama Jack, Grand Marnier, Chambord...whatever you like.

Dump into the blender and froth to the max.

Into a huge blue glass mug. Yumm. :wub::wub:

(We make the same coffee with cold decaf coffee in the summer, with the addition of some ice cubes.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.