• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Place

Susan

I have to bring dessert to a party this weekend. There used to be a cute little dessert place on a side street in Montclair that I believe either closed or moved (I think it was a woman's name). Can anyone suggest another place. Or if you know where that place moved to, I'd appreciate if you would give me that address.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

I've recently been WOWed by the bakery that is attached to Regina Margherita in Nutley, too...on Washington Avenue. SERIOUSLY wonderful Italian pastries and cookies. Haven't had the cakes or pies, but I suspect everything is delicious there!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

I got an amazing, uber-moist carrot cake from Flour Patch that was decorated with cookies for my sister's birthday. It was really wonderful. And they were super nice. My aunt got one of their vanilla/yellow cakes and said it was dry, reminiscent of day-old pound cake. I cannot attest, but she is a super-skilled baker and I trust her opinion. I love Gina's cake but am not a fan of their less-than-pleasant service, and their high prices. I would be curious to hear other opinions.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."