• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a Commercial Location (Chocolate Shop)

chocoera

Deb,

Your store is just as cute as could be! Well done!! I've looked at your website before but just did again...

I can see why your production takes up so much time. Your chocolates are beautiful. I hear what you're saying about making ingredients from scratch. I use only organic ingredients so that means I produce purees, nut butters etc. myself. It is time consuming but the flavours are soooooooo good. I guess the key is finding equipment and techniques to make the job as efficient as possible. We just got a homogenizing juicer for Christmas. I'll see how that works for making purees.

I look forward to hearing more about the adventure as you continue on.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

ok kids. i have no time at all to post the gazillions of pictures i want to post, so instead i am hoping i can put a link to my blog on here? the last three entries are all about the store....from construction, to grand opening, to special visitors etc.

http://www.thechocolateseason.com/journal/

but all i can say is, well, i was not expecting the amount of production needed to keep up with demand. i had planned on hiring 2 part time employees, but instead, have already hired 4 part time and then brad and i are full time. my typical day starts at 6 am at the shop, and depending on what's needed, i may not go home till 10 pm (though our goal as of late is to leave the shop at 8...have we met the goal? nope.) :raz:

you can not please everyone. what i like to do is surprise people with breakfast items. i don't want to be stuck offering only 5 different things. so one day its white chocolate cherry scones and banana nutella bread, the next day muffins with yogurt sauce and biscotti, the next day monkey bread, the next day caramel apple rolls....but its so funny because one day i have scones and all they want are muffins. next day: muffins. and then "hey, i head about the scones do you have scones?!" :wacko:

but all in all, its very tiring, but very worth it. the community response is amazing and i have a facebook fan page with over 500 fans (cheesy i know, but i get people coming in just based on what i put on facebook for the snack of the day etc) and we are getting soooooo many great compliments about the building, service and especially the variety and range of "cool" chocolate and dessert products we make. oh yeah. and our coffee is superb. if you need a great coffee company i can hook you up. the service is wonderful and the beans are roasted at their store. we've been told we have the best hot chocolate (remember that thread?!!!) and best coffee in a 2 hr radius at least :)

so here is the link for some pictures of the store and let me know if you have any questions...but yes...wow....busy!!! so i apologize for not being on here as much as i should, but i will try to make it more regular as we get to know our scheduling and production times etc. it will all calm down soon (so i hope....or at least have manageable chaos)

PS- have a crazy wedding cake coming up...expect some questions and pictures :) and i know i put this in the chocolate conference thread, but does ANYONE want to start a thread on component cakes or plated or individual desserts? thoughts on equipment needed, ideas, production schedules for set up and garnishing, shelf life, inspirational plates you've seen or tasted etc i'm totally interested in that sort of thing, but have limited experience in that area of dessert/pastry :)

best always!

xoxo :wub: