• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vatel, a really dedicated chef

rjs1

Short notice, I know, but it might be worth e-gulleters watching the film "Vatel" on BBC4 at 11.30pm tonight. Vatel was the Sun King's chef and committed suicide when the fish failed to turn up on time for a royal banquet - an example to all of us.... His body was found by a kitchen porter coming to tell him that the fish had finally arrived.

Thanks! I was looking for this following the very good "France on a Plate" programme that featured clips from it.

I also enjoyed "France on a Plate". Does anyone know much about it?

It seemed to come out of nowhere. I liked the presenter (nice to see he could speak French) and learned quite a lot. I was hoping it was a series. Maybe a pilot program?

Short notice, I know, but it might be worth e-gulleters watching the film "Vatel" on BBC4 at 11.30pm tonight.  Vatel was the Sun King's chef and committed suicide when the fish failed to turn up on time for a royal banquet - an example to all  of us.... His body was found by a kitchen porter coming to tell him that the fish had finally arrived.

Thanks! I was looking for this following the very good "France on a Plate" programme that featured clips from it.

This might have been an excellent post had I noticed that you had actually posted it on Monday and I didn't spot it until Tuesday :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"