• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Chocolates, what are you making?

Smiley Riley

The time is upon us for the biggest chocolate making season of the year! ( for me anyhow) I was putting together my ideas, going through my notebooks, and chocolate books, Grewelings' Chocolates and confections, as well as Fine Chocolates by Wybauw. There are several recipes which have great flavours for the season, but was wondering if any of you have ideas you are willing to share, or flavours you may like to eat. Also if you sell your chcolates, which flavours are most in demand?

Also are there any ideas for decorating the chocolates with a festive flair?

Peter

Cherry cordials are one of my favourite christmas chocolates. I wrap them in bright red foils so they look quite festive too.

I also like a sour cherry and almond marizpan centre but not many folks join me on that one.

I will be doing some marc de champagne truffles and I have a couple of moulds for making christmas tree ornaments. One is a small christmas tree that I will just do in solid chocolate and the other is a lantern mould that I am hoping to fill with soft caramel.

I want to have a go at a spiced port ganache but have not even started experimenting with that yet.

Happy xmas chocolate making everyone

Great sounding treats!!! I have been meaning to experiment with a port ganache centre, I have the bottle of port ready at hand, but have not taken the time yet, 2 little children get most of my spare time these days.

Anyone have a port recipe?

As well what do you use for the marc de champagne, is it actual champage, or an essence, very curious?

marc de champagne is a spirit which I think they make by distilling the residue from champagne grapes. The one I bought this year has quite a distinct flavour. They may vary quite a bit like different grappas but I have only tried one so far.

You can buy it as a flavouring compound too.

Christmas sees me molding a bunch of figural santas, snowmen and such.

I always make dipped ginger in syrup, dipped candied orange rind. I'll often make some eggnog chocolates - so a dark chocolate cup with an eggnog filling, topped with white chocolate and some grated nutmeg. I've also done trifle centers and a red wine and dried fruit center - the name of which escapes me right now. Looked it up "figgy pudding truffles".

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I just sent out my Christmas email to my mailing list today. I'm making egg nog, mulled cider, blackberry, and cardamom filled chocolates. Plus dark chocolate dried cherry pecan bark and white chocolate peppermint bark. Also, peppermint marshmallows, and hot fudge sauce.

It's my first sale doing this many products (usually I just have chocolates, and maybe on other thing) but I decided to add some variety this time around, particularly with longer shelf-life and less labor intensive items like the barks and hot fudge sauce.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

mmmmmmmmm, they all sound so delicious. Great ideas.

I know exactly what you mean Tammy about the shelf life issue. We can only produce so much in the time frame leading up to Christmas, the longer life products definitely help timewise.

Kerry those egg nog chocolates sound awesome, and beautiful looking too, i can see them in my minds eye.

Is the centre an egg nog ganache? Do they last long?

How is the red wine used in the ganache? Is it reduced first, to reduce the liquid?

Thanks again such great ideas

Peter

I'll often make some eggnog chocolates - so a dark chocolate cup with an eggnog filling, topped with white chocolate and some grated nutmeg. 

Hi Kerry. Just to make sure...do you mean an eggnog cream filling?

My own plans are very unsophisticated. Besides the dipped ginger and orange peels, I am making turtles with two Moab friends.

Then I have committed to making hard candy lollies for the underprivileged children's party.

Thanks to eG members's help, I have started the lollipops and am holding off on the turtles for a couple more weeks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just did a 20 hour weekend session to do all my Christmas chocolates. Caramels are a must and then I have a couple with alcohol for the festive season (rum & raisin and champagne truffles). For after dinner I go with a dark coffee and orange ganache and a raspbery ganache. And then I have a few lighter flavours for those who prefer the sweeter sides of chocolates - a coconut and lime, a hazelnut and lemon and my personal Christmas favourtie, a gingerbread butter ganache.

I'll often make some eggnog chocolates - so a dark chocolate cup with an eggnog filling, topped with white chocolate and some grated nutmeg. 

Hi Kerry. Just to make sure...do you mean an eggnog cream filling?

My own plans are very unsophisticated. Besides the dipped ginger and orange peels, I am making turtles with two Moab friends.

Then I have committed to making hard candy lollies for the underprivileged children's party.

Thanks to eG members's help, I have started the lollipops and am holding off on the turtles for a couple more weeks. :wub:

Yup, an eggnog buttercream.

I haven't had a lot of time this year, but I have managed to swing the following molded chocolates:

- coffe/dulce de leche

- ginger

- raspberry/balsamic vinegar

- rum/raisin

- white choc/vanila

+ mediants, 3 pounds of home made fruit n' nut bars instead of the horribly sweet ones from Cadbury's and some solid mold santas for the kiddies.

Nearer to Christmas we will have a day of making marcipan figures and other marcipan 'stuff' with the whole family - a danish tradition, where the kids can have fun (I get too stressed if they help with the molded, tempered activities :wacko: )

Happy chocolating

My friends and family get used to my stuff, so it's always the same set of chocolates

- raspberry

- dark chocolate ("palet d'or")

- lemon

- Pistachio/cinnamon

- white chocolate vanilla

- cherry

- hazelnut crunch

- coffee

- caramel

- hazelnut cream

- peanut butter

- passion fruit

thanks for all on this forum who have helped me improve my technique!