• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Iranian food?

I've lived in London for 7 years and in that time have eaten a lot of Iranian food.. but I can never figure out which one I prefer. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The ones I'm thinking of (which in my opinion are the best ones I've been to) are:

Mohsen (Warwick Road)

Yas (Olympia)

Alounak (Russell Gardens)

Alounak has the best atmosphere (and the best bread), but I think the food is better and fresher at Mohsen - for example the baghali polo with the lamb shank there was far more tender, light and addictive than Alounak's), though the menu is smaller and group dining is more difficult. Yas can go either way in terms of food, and is quite expensive, but the food is strangely comforting, and it's open until 3am.

I've lived in London for 7 years and in that time have eaten a lot of Iranian food.. but I can never figure out which one I prefer. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The ones I'm thinking of (which in my opinion are the best ones I've been to) are:

Mohsen (Warwick Road)

Yas (Olympia)

Alounak has the best atmosphere (and the best bread), but I think the food is better and fresher at Mohsen - for example the baghali polo with the lamb shank there was far more tender, light and addictive than Alounak's), though the menu is smaller and group dining is more difficult. Yas can go either way in terms of food, and is quite expensive, but the food is strangely comforting, and it's open until 3am.

Although service can be abrupt to the point of rudeness (particularly , it sometimes seems to me , to non Farsi speakers) and there's often a lengthy queue for a table as it's always packed with large Iranian family groups, Behesht (1084 Harrow Rd) delivers enormous portions of pretty decent Persian staples and bargain prices -starters around £2.95 , various khoresht from around £5.50 and grilled kebabs from £6 , all for vast portions.

They dont serve alcohol or allow you to take your own , so I mostly use it for takeways - having the sabzi paneer as a starter always leaves me with enough fresh herbs to last at least a week.

I've also enjoyed a couple of meals recently at a little Iranian cafe on Upper Street, directly opposite the fire station.

gethin

Mohsen (Warwick Road)

Yas (Olympia)

Although service can be abrupt to the point of rudeness (particularly , it sometimes seems to me , to non Farsi speakers) and there's often a lengthy queue for a table as it's always packed with large Iranian family groups, Behesht (1084 Harrow Rd) delivers enormous portions of pretty decent Persian staples and bargain prices -starters around £2.95 , various khoresht from around £5.50 and grilled kebabs from £6 , all for vast portions.

They dont serve alcohol or allow you to take your own , so I mostly use it for takeways - having the sabzi paneer as a starter always leaves me with enough fresh herbs to last at least a week.

I've also enjoyed a couple of meals recently at a little Iranian cafe on Upper Street, directly opposite the fire station.

gethin

Oooh that is pretty inexpensive and sounds good! I must try it.

• 4 weeks later...