• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I refrigerate these?

SaladFingers

I'm attempting three courses for when the family visit and am trying to choose a 'menu' that will allow me to make things in advance, so I'm not running round too much when they arrive.

So, I am thinking of making these to start with

http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/Food/Rosemary...es/default.html

Do people think that I could get to stage 4 by dipping the cakes in the 3 bowls and then refrigerate them till I'm ready to put them in the pan?

There may be an obvious answer, but I don't want to ruin them by making them too cold, or leaving them so long that they go hard or something.

Any help, appreciated.

I often find it better to do so (chill the items) for items like this--gives the egg time to dry some. I simply cover very loosely. (If needing to hold for a while then, after the cakes have had time to dry/firm up in the cold of the fridge, transfer to a cake cooling rack placed on a flat pan, cover again, and return to the fridge. This disallows moisture buildup between the plate and the cakes.)

Edited by klkruger (log)

Kevin

Freezing is fine... Restaurants do it all the time... would you really expect a restaurant to have a giant banquet and make everything to order?? :) probably not.

Alot of places make a huge batch and freeze them (Par Cook first!!! about halfway done).... Hell you could probably buy frozen seafood cakes at your supermarket, bake them till crispy...

If your going to make them in a day or so i wouldn't freeze... just put them in the fridge.

Depending on size, well thickness you could even finish them in a pan to save time / energy.

or you could put it in a sous vide bag cook at 30c for 20 hours and take it out and blow torch it....

JUST KIDDING!!!

DO NOT PUT IN A BAG AND Sous vide!!! rofl sorry cant help myself.

Edited by SeanDirty (log)

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.