• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-stick cooking sprays

Saffy

Cooking at a friend's house, I used some Pam the other night.

Observations:

The non-stick properties of Pam are far superior to greasing a sheet pan with oil.

It is extremely difficult to clean after it gets baked on to the pan.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Use parchment paper, non-stick foil or a Silpat - all of the pros and none of the cons. That's my 2 cents. Hate the spray.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I vote for parchment as well after basically ruining a few of my grandmother's old enameled baking sheets. Yes, I've tried barkeeper's friend and every other trick to clean them.

The only problem with parchment is that it is expensive to buy in the grocery store. I always grab a few sheets of it from work when I need them, where we get a box of 1000 sheets for about $65. And if you can get the bulk foodservice packages at a restaurant supply store (and find somewhere to store it), it also comes in a flat package instead the annoying rolls that don't lie flat like when you buy it in the grocery store.

I use it for pretty much all of my baking that doesn't specifically call for buttering/flouring the pan, or an ungreased cookie sheet, things like that.

Before going into the oven, but after loading the batter, I just wipe down the pan with a damp paper towel. I haven't had any problems with it getting baked onto the pan that way.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Lye or an oven cleaner containing lye will remove polymerized oil from those enameled baking sheets.

Pam has some kind of weird flavor, and it seems excessive to buy oil in an aerosol can. I've never taken to it.

there is unflavored cannola oil spray

and i high temp version of PAM, but i cant say i know what its called.

it does not polymerize at higher temp.

i use parchment paper a lot, esp. in those 'disposable' aluminum baking trays/loaf pans.

the paper comes up the sides. the pan stays clean and is reusable. i do brownies this way.

the brown parchment paper seems to better than the white: things dont stick to it as much.

but for cookies etc etc silicone mats are the way to go.

I agree with the use of Silpat mats, or the cheaper equivalent by Fox Run I wrote about in another thread, parchment and etc.

However for the intricate baking molds, Bundt pans and such, that need help to keep the contents from sticking, I use a home-made mixture that is better than any of the commercial sprays, including Vegelene, which I used to use but new formulation is not as good as the old stuff. There is something in most of the sprays that irritates my nose so I try not to use them. Possibly it's the propellant.

I'm away from home at the moment and the recipe is not on my Macbook - I will post the formula for the mix I make when I get home.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just mix some light vegetable oil with half as much soy lecithin granules in the blender and use that as 'grease' for pans. The lecithin is a release agent.

I have some spray in the house and use it for a few thing. But, I am very aware that it contributes to the dirty film of dust that accumulates in a kitchen.

In terms of cleaning, I like Bon Ami.

I have not used Pam in three or four years. I use those canisters like Misto. I don't know if Pam works better but it works well enough for me. I can use any kind of oil in them. There is also bakers grease that you can mix up ahead of time. You may not like the idea of using a vegetable shortening and lard is an alternative but I don't feel very much is used In a single application and I don't use it very often, but it is another altrenative.

Baker's Grease: equal parts of Crisco shortening, oil, and flour. (For a large amount, use 1 cup each)

Beat together until light and airy. Apply with a pastry brush. No need to add flour. Keep refrigerated, covered

BTW: if you abandon using the Spray, it works very well on the business end of a Snow Blower.

I use generic canola for this. cant say if butter flavor works better.

so remember: if you have to Blow some Snow:

Spray first!

:laugh:

I have not used Pam in three or four years. I use those canisters like Misto. I don't know if Pam works better but it works well enough for me. I can use any kind of oil in them.

I bought a Misto for this purpose, but it seems like I have to pump the thing forever, and usually after no more than 30sec of spraying it turns into a thin stream of oil shooting out at high pressure..

BTW: if you abandon using the Spray, it works very well on the business end of a Snow Blower.

I use generic canola for this. cant say if butter flavor works better.

so remember: if you have to Blow some Snow:

Spray first!

:laugh:

It also works incredibly well sprayed through the flame of a lit match or fire stick to get rid of cobwebs outside. Butter flavour definitely works better here :wink:

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Spraying in a stream instead of a mist has happened to me too but if I clean it and have enough pressure, it sprays OK. It only takes forever to pump up and not spray its best if the cap isn't tight enough and the seal isn't oily. I generally only fill it up a quarter, then when I have used it up, I put some soapy water in it and spray it , the do the same a couple times with clean water then dry and re fill with oil. It takes some putzing around to keep it working but I don't mind the work compared to the cost of Pam and the sticky residue it leaves.

It also irritates me that they advertise it as being fat free then when you read the amount needed for it to be fat free, the spray time is in milliseconds... practically. Oil is oil, it will have the same calories if it comes out of a commercial product or you pump your own.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Mistos for me clog and go from a spray to a piddle in about a week, and I've had several of them. Pam leaves that nasty residue and does have that "off" taste to me as well. Sort of like that flavor from any Pillsbury dough products....

I use parchment or Silpats for baking, but for roasting, or high heat like oven fries, or greasing the intricate Bundt-type molds, Trader Joes makes an aerosol olive oil spray that cleans up much more easily, and does't have a lingering obnoxious taste. It also works well if you spritz it over the food (like potatoes, fish or breaded chicken) to do that simulated "oven-fry" thing.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I know that I posted in another thread about this a while ago, but we use the Misto when needed, loaded with a combination of oil and grain neutral spirits (usually Smirnoff's Vodka). A bunch of pumps yields a nice even coating with no clogs, and the gadget lasts a lot longer than they used to when we used straight oil.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I could post this in the "things I'll never do again" thread...

I foolishly used Pam recently on my old Lodge cast iron skillet when planning to toast up some naan.

Thought I'd never get the burned-on residue scrubbed off. Thanks goodness for coarse salt and lots of elbow grease.

Sometimes we don't think long enough before doing something stupid.

Add me to the "no Pam, not ever in the kitchen" camp. The only thing Pam is good for is to reduce the friction coefficient of inner tubes prior to sliding down icy hills - you go about 25% faster and quite a bit further than without it.

I use sunflower oil with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar in complicated molds, and it works beautifully for me.

DSCN5436.jpg

On the flat I use Silpats, and in metal tins I either butter (when bread is to be baked) or use a parchment/wax paper liner (when fruit breads are involved).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)