• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cognac = Banana...at least in our heads

gfron1

To sell out of my cafè this year, I made some 30 pumpkin pies using a recipe that included cognac. I've had a number of customers comment about a slight banana taste. There was nothing else in the recipe that I can think of other than the cognac to cause that taste. I didn't taste the banana myself, so my theory is that cognac tricks the mind into thinking banana. Anyone else experience this?

Not that specifically, but I find if I add lemon and basil to white chocolate and enrobe it in dark chocolate it tastes minty - same thing seems to happen with ginger - minty.

Looks like cognac and bananas contain organic compounds in common - isobutyl acetate and isopentyl acetate. Might be where the flavour comes from.

Looks like cognac and bananas contain organic compounds in common - isobutyl acetate and isopentyl acetate.  Might be where the flavour comes from.

Exactly,

Brandy has some of its distinct flavor due to an ester. Low molecular weight esters are present in fruits, such as pineapples, pears, bananas, apricots, grapes and oranges. They are also present in cognac, in the form of ethyl nonanoate (ethyl oenanthate). These esters give them their distinctive flavors.

I've found strange taste correlations to come from combinations of ingredients you wouldn't expect. My father once attempted a chili with blue cheese and liquid smoke - it came out with a distinct banana-like flavor.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

To sell out of my cafè this year, I made some 30 pumpkin pies using a recipe that included cognac.  I've had a number of customers comment about a slight banana taste.  There was nothing else in the recipe that I can think of other than the cognac to cause that taste.  I didn't taste the banana myself, so my theory is that cognac tricks the mind into thinking banana.  Anyone else experience this?

You're flushing out a very faint flavor memory in my head...

my local coffee store in Eugene had a run of nutmeg / eggnog mix that was banana flavored to me. The first time I ordered their eggnog steamed milk I sent it back because I thought they made me a banana one. They confirmed that they made it correctly- and we sniffed the eggnog container to check it. Yep- smelled like bananas to me! But no one else got that smell- they all said it smelled like eggnog to them.

Edited by McAuliflower (log)

flavor floozy

The reason that your basil and chocolate concoction has a minty flavor, is the type of basil that you are using. there are certain types of basil that have a licorice flavor (thai). when you add the citric acid in the lemon juice to them the oxidation causes the flavors to brighten, there is your minty flavor.

Not that specifically, but I find if I add lemon and basil to white chocolate and enrobe it in dark chocolate it tastes minty - same thing seems to happen with ginger - minty.

Tell me what you eat, and i will tell you what you are!

I made pumpkin pie squares and to me, especially when accompanied by a glass of milk, they taste very coconuty. I'm not sure where the flavour is coming from, but my guess is the oatmeal in the crust combined with the condensed milk. And maybe some of the spices (ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon). It's weird, but it makes me like the pie more (I hate pumpkin pie).