• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dip and drink

Truc

Well people this is kind of a random post but I was having breakfast today, som e warm soymilk with chinese doughnut when I started to think of some other things from other cultures that follow that dip and drink premise. Things like churros and hot chocolate or doughnuts and coffee.

What are some other delicious combos?

Well, of course there's cookies and milk.

I like dark chocolate dougnuts (plain, no glaze or icing) with earl grey tea.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like hot Earl Grey tea with milk, and really crisp ginger cookies.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

In the Philippines some people dip pan de sal in coffee (usually coffee with sugar and milk). In the olden days, pan de sal was a very simple bread (flour, yeast, salt) that got hard very quickly, so they dipped to soften it. But new-style pan de sal is usually made with the addition of butter, eggs, sugar and milk, so it doesn't need dipping quite as much (but some people probably still dip).

Biscotti with espresso or hot chocolate - we like to add some light fruit and cheese. Makes a great evening snack.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Timtam slam. You bite the ends off a tim tam and suck coffee through it like a straw.

Memories.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a timtam?

Its a really great cookie from Australia. Its made with pure cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup. You can get them in the US at Cost Plus world markets. They're sold under the brand name of Arnotts.

Timtam slam. You bite the ends off a tim tam and suck coffee through it like a straw.

Memories.

Its a really great cookie from Australia. Its made with pure cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup. You can get them in the US at Cost Plus world markets. They're sold under the brand name of Arnotts.

Yep. Don't go into the weird flavours though except caramel. The best ones are plain chocolate. Double dipped is pretty good too.

All of our confections are made with sugar, and our coke too. We've got too many cane fields in Queensland to consider otherwise.

Edit to add link http://www.arnotts.com.au/products/TimTam.aspx

Edited by Syrah (log)

Oh my kids love timtams. They bite off diagonal small corners and use as a straw. Very popular here among kids and teens. Also itis popular to dip these hard and crunchy cookies. They are not sweet and are made with yeast, but are crunchy. Here's a picture of "Kay-ah-khim"!

gallery_53591_4944_1184.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

those look almost just like my pepper biscuits only there is cracked pepper on/in mine

do you have a recipe for those please? I would love to compare

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

me too!

Here's mine:

300g margarine

1/2 cup of oil

2 tbl dried yeast

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

1tbl salt

1 kilo flour

Use less flour in the bowl, mix to a nice dough, adding more flour while kneading as and if needed.

Make the shapes- (hotdogs bent into a circle like in the picture!)

place on a baking sheet in large baking pan, brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake at 175 C until light golden color. Enjoy!!

There is also a baking powder version if anyone is interested.

There's also the savory realm- French dip sandwiches.  Or one could extend that to simply the classic sandwiches with soup.  Like grilled cheese with tomato soup.

Mmm french dip.... so good. When I was living in France i used to have baguette or brioche smeared with nutella and dip it in hot chocolate, sooo goood *drool* :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Memories.

Yep. Don't go into the weird flavours though except caramel. The best ones are plain chocolate. Double dipped is pretty good too.

All of our confections are made with sugar, and our coke too. We've got too many cane fields in Queensland to consider otherwise.

Edit to add link http://www.arnotts.com.au/products/TimTam.aspx

What a coincidence. I found these at Target today. I'm so excited that I can find them in MI( closer to me than where I can find the arnott's.)

They only had the caramel. These were 2.50

gallery_25969_665_462767.jpg