• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Teaware Search

Gregory Glancy

Does anyone have a good source for Japanese teaware? I'm looking for a Hohin set, and can't seem to find one that is under about $125. IMHO, this is a bit on the steep side. I'd be really interested to know if authentic & functional Japanese teaware can actually be purchased for a good price. So far, the answer seems to be no. :)

Greg

www.norbutea.com

Greg, can you tell us more about Japanese Hohin sets - what's in a set and how they are used?

Sure Richard:

From Hibiki-An's website: http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.php/...products_id/470

"Hohin is a Kyusu without a handle and is used to brew only the highest grade of Uji tea. Hohin means "Treasure Jar" or "Magical Jar" in Japanese. It is said that high grade tea becomes more mellow in the Hohin.

Hohin is also for nursing your soul rather than for satisfying your thirst because the capacity is somewhat smaller than a basic Kyusu. The pour spout is made in a special way that allows tiny tea leaves to be poured together with the tea water. It is said that the poured tiny tea leaves enhance the flavor of the tea."

From photos I have found online, the steeping pot looks like a close relative of the Gaiwan with a pour spout added, and I am eager to try one out. The size of the steeping vessel and serving pitcher is about 110 cc each, and the cups are 50 cc each. It is used very much in the same way that a Gaiwan or a Yixing pot is used in Chinese Gong-fu steeping. In my eyes, it also looks like a less clumsy piece of equipment for enjoying really good Japanese tea...I always feel like I am doing something morally wrong when I just use a tetsubin or a western style teapot for my really good Japanese teas.

I've been experimenting with crossing cultural lines with my tea set ups recently, and this one particularly seems intriguing. I was thinking it might be good for oolong teas in particular, as I am on a bit of an oolong kick right now. I've been quite successfully drinking silver needles (white tea) through a "bombilla" (metal straw with a filter tip) from a Yerba Mate set up recently, so I want to know what other tea boundaries I can successfully cross. :)

Greg

www.norbutea.com

Try searching for "houhin".

Teapot only on English shopping site

Set including water-cooling pourer and small teacups, Japanese shopping site.

As you may guess from the shape, these pots are not for use with boiling water, so they suit any tea which is best infused with water ranging from "hot bath" to "stick your finger in and realize it's way too hot for a bath". If you pull your finger out instinctively when you've barely touched the water, it's too hot for this type of teapot.

There are many types, from earthenware to porcelain, just choose whichever type you prefer.

Try searching for "houhin".

Teapot only on English shopping site

Set  including water-cooling pourer and small teacups, Japanese shopping site.

As you may guess from the shape, these pots are not for use with boiling water, so they suit any tea which is best infused with water ranging from "hot bath" to "stick your finger in and realize it's way too hot for a bath". If you pull your finger out instinctively when you've barely touched the water, it's too hot for this type of teapot.

There are many types, from earthenware to porcelain, just choose whichever type you prefer.

Thanks Helen! I'm eager to try one of these babies out.

Greg

www.norbutea.com

• 7 months later...

I assume yuuki-cha.com was previously named the Japanese Green Tea Shop. At any rate, there are two houhin and a shiboridashi set that are inexpensive to begin with and on sale...but only through Friday. Link.

Other sources for Japanese tea pots and such include o-cha.com and artisticnippon.com. The latter has a variety of styles from different regions and some well-known Japanese potters, as well as less expensive, but well-designed ones by others. Worth checking out.

• 1 month later...

I have had very good results with a Banko kyusu from yuukicha.com, so I am ordering a Banko houhin from the site soon, along with some organic gyokuro, and I'll post about this after they arrive and I have had a chance to brew a couple of times.

• 9 months later...

Just became aware of this topic as Richard woke it up today, and while I have no answer for his question, I do have a suggestion for the original question about Japanese teaware in general:

The Tokoname teaware catalog is where I got my kyusus and there are some other types of pots as well, with a wide range of prices.

I ordered according to the directions on this page (follow the order link). It was quick and easy. The gallery link also shows extra nice (but more expensive) pots.