• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cured Tenderloin of Beef

ldubois2

Marcus Samuelsson has a recipe in Aquavit for a Cured Tenderloin of Beef. He suggests a sugar/salt curing mixture and says to place the raw beef in a non-reactive pan that will snuggly hold the beef, cover with plastic wrap, weigh with a brick and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Remove beef, wipe off salt, pat dry, wrap again in plastic and place in the freezer for about 30 min to make the slicing easier.

Question: Does this seem like enough time to cure the beef and then eat....

Marcus Samuelsson has a recipe in Aquavit for a Cured Tenderloin of Beef.  He suggests a sugar/salt curing mixture and says to place the raw beef in a non-reactive pan that will snuggly hold the beef, cover with plastic wrap, weigh with a brick and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.  Remove beef, wipe off salt, pat dry, wrap again in plastic and place in the freezer for about 30 min to make the slicing easier.

Question:  Does this seem like enough time to cure the beef and then eat....

Wow, just today I snagged a whole tenderloin for a great deal and was contemplating curing part of it--and then i see this post on the front page of egullet. Is the internet reading my mind? :)

With my recent experiments in curing pork tenderloin, that won't be enough time to get the salt all the way to the center, but that may not be the aim. In my experience, without weighting the loin, it takes at least four days with pork for the edges and center to approach an equilibrium. I usually cure for three or four days, rinse, correct for salt/surgar (water bath if it's too salty, a pinch or to more salt if not salty enough), and put it back in the fridge for a day or two.

Edited by jupe (log)

Please delete my account from eGullet