• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Informal Thanksgiving Survey

slkinsey

:laugh:

Lightweights!

Yes, pumpkin pie, jello pretezel pie that my roommate's mother made, along with some greek style stuffing ( ground beef, rice, raisins, pine nuts) and heavenly sweet potatos just baked with butter and brown sugar.

---------------------------------------

Though I'm normally a sweets person, my pie didn't turn out as perfectly as I'd like. So instead I had leftover brussel sprout hash with big chunks of bacon for breakfast. I had a thought of heating it up, but it was so good cold that I couldn't stop.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Ususally, I have pie, along with a bowl of cranberry chutney. This year, I had a breakfast thing with family, so we went out early for that.

When I got home, I had pie. Waffles, sausage, and pecan pie for dessert. Lunch will be stuffing with turkey shreds, and cranberry chutney.

No pie here. We had pumpkin sticky toffee pudding yesterday and I'll have more of it later today. This morning's breakfast was was turkey and a little glippy-glop of cranberry/cherry compote on a fluffy yeast roll. (My rolls rocked this year!) A cold glass of milk just hit the spot with it.

Um, yeah--pumpkin pie for breakfast yesterday; I think I'll eat the last piece this morning.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Leftover Brussels Sprouts with butter and Parm. I think these were the best sprouts I have ever eaten, tiny, tender, and sweet.

My daughter bought a whole stalk at a farm stand so there are enough left for two or three meals.

turkey sandwich with leftover crostini topping (yellow tomato/cucumber) on leftover italian bread

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Honey, I have been known to cut and eat the pie for breakfast ON Thanksgiving, before the turkey.

Yes, I had pie for breakfast.

In my house, a 9-inch pie serves four, or two twice. Which is what we did. And it was superior this year, an incredible silky texture brought on by unhomogenized organic dairy ingredients (milk and cream).

What I want to know, gfron, is what is a sugar cream pie? Can I have a recipe? Please?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I.

Miss.

Cranberries. :unsure:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

No pie for me. Someone hid the pie the day after (we had our Thanksgiving on Saturday), and I actually forgot we had pie until just now. Hmmm...it's time for an afternoon snack...

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

We didn't have pie for breakfast the morning after, simply because we didn't have access to pie. We'd been at my mother's for Thanksgiving and we didn't take home any leftovers because we were heading out of town for two days (we picked up the leftovers Sunday morning and have been making up for lost time, however).

But on Friday night we visited some friends in Connecticut, and they had so much pie in their house that I feared the sheer quantity of pie would create a rip in the space-pie continuum -- a pie wormhole or other pie singularity. There must have had ten pies, only a couple of which had even been started on Thanksgiving. There were homemade pies, store-bought pies and farm-stand pies. There were three species of pecan pies, a couple of pumpkin pie variants, a coconut cream pie and a bunch of other pies. Had we consumed any more pie we surely would have required treatment at a tertiary care center.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)