• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Desert - Chocolate/chestnut based

denise madison

My grandmother made a chocolate pastry around Christmas time. It was a fried dough (may have been a stufoli recipe) with chocolate, chestnuts, pine nuts and citron inside. The looked like round raviolis and were fried then covered with honey. I believe she called them bastadella (sp?). Anyone know of any similar recipe?

Thanks

My grandmother made a chocolate pastry around Christmas time.  It was a fried dough (may have been a stufoli recipe) with chocolate, chestnuts, pine nuts and citron inside.  The looked like round raviolis and were fried then covered with honey.  I believe she called them bastadella (sp?).  Anyone know of any similar recipe?

Thanks

Without knowing even vaguely where your grandmother came from, it's a needle in a haystack, since all those ingredients are widely used in Italy, especially at Christmas. I've never come across the term bastadella, though bastardella is a kind of bowl. I tried searching strufoli, cioccolata, pinoli, cedro, and castagne all together but didn’t get anywhere. Still, they could be a kind of strufoli. Panzerotti?

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Ciao from Tuscany- I found your recipe.

it is from Campagna- a sweet chestnut ravioli with chocolate etc friend and drizzled in honey

Can you read Italian?

if not I can translate it for you.

Basically you boil chestnuts and then melt chocolate in expresso add to pureed chestnuts and add raisins, pinenuts, orange zest etc.

Make a dough with flour, lard, sugar, eggs .

form ravioli, fry and drizzle with honey.

Note says made for xmas

it is from Campagna- a sweet chestnut ravioli with chocolate etc friend and drizzled in honey

Can you read Italian?

Basically you boil chestnuts and then melt chocolate in expresso add to pureed chestnuts and add raisins, pinenuts, orange zest etc.

Note says made for xmas

so what's it called?

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Can you read Italian?

Note says made for xmas

Thank you so much for the recipe! Did it have a name? My grandmother's town was in Salerno so Campangna makes sense.

Did it say what type of chocolate to use (Dark or Milk?) Also, is the dough the same as strofulli? Also, any measurements on chestnuts, chocolate, etc.

I will definitely make for the holidays.

Thanks again.

Can you read Italian?

Note says made for xmas

Thank you so much for the recipe! Did it have a name? My grandmother's town was in Salerno so Campangna makes sense.

Did it say what type of chocolate to use (Dark or Milk?) Also, is the dough the same as strofulli? Also, any measurements on chestnuts, chocolate, etc.

I will definitely make for the holidays.

Thanks again.

A message from the spelling nazi:

Campania

Strufoli

Correct spelling is, of course, its own reward, but it also makes Googling much more effective. :biggrin:

Edited by Maureen B. Fant (log)

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Campagna is actually a comune in Campania region. In other words they are both correct spelling. It is very close to where denise's family comes from.

Yes, I only just noticed her geographical attribution. However, she must be referring to Montecorvino Rovella, in the province of Salerno. There are several comuni named Campagna in Italy (in addition to plenty of campagna, small c), and one is indeed in the province of Salerno.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Pasticelle

I am going down to Naples next week doing some research for an article and will ask around too!

Names change often!

but the recipe sounds right

Edited by divina (log)

Pasticelle

I am going down to Naples next week doing some research for an article and will ask around too!

Names change often!

but the recipe sounds right

Yes, that is the name! I don't really read Italian, but from what I see, it is the ingredients. My daughter's boyfriend is a pastry chef, so I am going to ask for his help with the dough and try to make for Christmas.

Thank you.

Denise