• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Picolla bread?

Vinotas

When I was in Paris in late October (link to pics here), there was a bakery at the corner of Rue Douai and Rue de Bruxelles, in the 9th, that had the most amazing breads. One of them was called "picolla" and the place was so busy I never had enough time to ask them how they made it or what it was exactly.

One thing I can say was that it was swoonaliciously good, with a thin crusty exterior and a moist, fluffy interior. Absolutely fantastic.

So, what exactly is Pain Picolla?

Cheers! :cool:

Isn't it just a small sized loaf?

Or, I also know of a pico that is a baguette with "deep flavor and chewy interior coming from the preferment as well as the sweet, caramelized crust."

I know nothing.

That sounds about right, though it was almost as long as a regular baguette and less round, more oval.