• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassoulet and Fresh Tarbais Beans

I picked some fresh, frozen - not dried, tarbais beans at my local farmers market recently. I plan on using them in our annual News Years Eve cassoulet. Besides not having to soak them overnight, is there anything else I should be doing and or expecting with the fresh beans vs. dried beans?

Ooh, I'm jealous--fresh beans are a treat. I usually make cassoulet on Christmas eve, though last year's batch was derailed by my inability to find duck legs to make confit. I'm searching for legs right now, to make a big batch of confit in advance of my cassoulet needs. Anyway, fresh beans need far less cooking time than dried. Other than that, things should be pretty much the same.