• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Babbo (First 6 Years)

macrosan

First, I don't think I have staked very much on the difference between favorite and best. You can replace either of those phrases with the following insert, like it more then they should. Just remember that in the future. As for lucky/unlucky, I thought there were a fair number of people on this thread that reported a high percentage of "unlucky" meals. Enough to make me not want to rush to go back. And as for comparing it to Blue Hill, I think most people would take a different view of Blue Hill if they took advice from those who eat well there. But in this long thread about Babbo, not a single person has come along and said, here is the key for eating better at Babbo.

I have an old Strat and a Mesa Boogie amp. What time does the jam start?

You're shittin' me Plotnicki.

I'm not surprised in the least. I'll bet it's a pre-CBS Strat, too. {edit: I see that it is--crossed posts.}

As usual, we'll be et up with guitarists, and no rhythm section. I'll bring my Rick bass and the small G-K cabinet.

We're gonna need a drummer.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I used to be a good guitar player so people tell me. Could have done it for a living.

Well, by god Plotz. I never would have thunk it. Same here, except I was making a living. Sort of.

Dave, CBS bought out Leo in '65 or '66. My first new Tellie was in '66 and it was right after that happened. Now I play a Mexican Tellie. Don't know who owns the company now, but it's a good axe. Better than any of my old ones.

Nina, maybe we could have a wailing group.

Who plays drums? Steve, can you play lead and rhythm? We could swap off. Where's Nick #1? I seem to remember something about a Tellie.

Okay, time to take it to OTC and get back to Babbo. Mario, what you got to say?

I used to be a good guitar player so people tell me. Could have done it for a living.

Well, by god Plotz. I never would have thunk it. Same here, except I was making a living. Sort of.

Dave, CBS bought out Leo in '65 or '66. My first new Tellie was in '66 and it was right after that happened. Now I play a Mexican Tellie. Don't know who owns the company now, but it's a good axe. Better than any of my old ones.

Nina, maybe we could have a wailing group.

Who plays drums? Steve, can you play lead and rhythm? We could swap off. Where's Nick #1? I seem to remember something about a Tellie.

Okay, time to take it to OTC and get back to Babbo. Mario, what you got to say?

I think all that's left is for y'all to pick a name.....

:biggrin:

Edit: How about the OTC Medicators... :laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

[quote name=

Okay' date=' time to take it to OTC and get back to Babbo. Mario, what you got to say?

Well being I'm up next on the Babbo run, I hope Mario e-mails me and tells me I'm the 1st for a tasting menu on my 38th.

As a person who's in the business, I'm hoping on the lark he was out partying when he gets home and hits the site and remembers on the 19th I'll be there.

By the way on the way home from work I ran over both the Easter bunny & Santa. Someone bail me out of jail before my reservation.

Thanks, Lou

Time of arrest: 4 :20

Edited by Lreda (log)

Steve P wrote:

"But in this long thread about Babbo, not a single person has come along and said, here is the key for eating better at Babbo. "

Steve, I suggest you read my thread with the following in the text:

"In my opinion, things to remember while dining at Babbo - "

The question of people's palates being biased by what kind of food they like best is of interest to me. My palate has certainly undergone changes over the years. I used to think that my palate was partial toward Italian more than other cuisines. However, over time, I have gravitated toward French food more than any other. In the past 3 months or so, I have been eating more spicy food than normal. I am sure this aspect will keep changing.

Well being I'm up next on the Babbo run, I hope Mario e-mails me and tells me I'm the 1st for a tasting menu on my 38th.

As a person who's in the business, I'm hoping on the lark he was out partying when he gets home and hits the site and remembers on the 19th I'll be there.

Lou,

I got ya beat by a week. I'll let you know what I think on Friday. :smile:

Mike

Lou,

I got ya beat by a week. I'll let you know what I think on Friday. :smile:

Mike

Mike, for your sake and mine I hope you enjoy everything. Please do give us an update.

Lou

Okay I read it. I don't need the sommelier to do anything for me since I have probably tasted many more wines on his list then he has (this is surprisingly not such an uncommon occurence in NYC.) What I do need him to do is to point out the eccentricities on the list which is what I tried to get him to do the other night. It was not computing. Secondly, I mostly prefer meat so that's an issue right there. Also, my appetizer was a special and my wife's main dish was a special and both were resolutely ordinary. I also don't eat pasta due to my wheat intolerance so there goes that one too.

Okay now that we have dispensed with that, that's not what I'm asking for. I don't want advice about what to do there. I want to know how to get their attention so that Mario himself hand picks my lamb chops and makes sure they are both fired up at the right time and cooked to the right temperature, as well as served at the right temperature. I'm looking for the magic word or phrase to tell my server so they will say, yes we understand you are not the same as evey other diner. Just like they did at Trotter's as soon as I raised it. I am conviced that Babbo is such a popular place that unless you can get their attention, your meal can be very good, or like ours, oridnary. But I am certain that if you get the kitchen's attention the food will imorove dramatically.

I want to know how to get their attention so that Mario himself hand picks my lamb chops and makes sure they are both fired up at the right time and cooked to the right temperature, as well as served at the right temperature. I'm looking for the magic word or phrase to tell my server so they will say, yes we understand you are not the same as evey other diner.

Tell 'em the temp (instant read), you want the chops cooked to. :smile: