• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Babbo (First 6 Years)

macrosan

Yes, that's true but I meant that there was no definate statement toward a comp'ed meal in the letter... I would think that the Babbo management would have wanted that stated clearly to insure that the patron knew they were certain to be taken care of on their return visit.

perhaps babbo management thought this would be best handled in person or in a one-on-one conversation. i don't think they're in the business of mailing gift certificates to every person who complains.

Yeah, a month later.

It's easy enough to write someone a return letter, apologize and tell them that their name and phone number is on file if they should choose to return and that the evening is gratis.

Customer Service has dick-all to do with size... be it McDonalds or Babbo... if you're in the Hospitality Business you're ONLY concern is THE customer.

Enough people act with apathy and the service drops... for both sides-patrons and establishments alike.

I've forwarded much of the Babbo threads to Mario directly, as has Tony.

I wonder... if this had anything to do with the letter I received. It took a good month for a response and was not sent by either person I addressed it to... Maybe egullet is more of an impression than a letter. :unsure:

I don't think you should be too concerned with who responded to your letter. In my experience, letters of complaint usually get forwarded to the person best equipped to resolve the situation and respond. It's probable that in your case Ms. Seltzer was that person.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oh, I get it now...you're Patrick Bateman aren't you?

"I'm not really hungry. I just need to have reservations somewhere."

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I've eaten in several places in Italy that prime the glasses.  I think it's silly there too.  To me, it's not unreasonable to assume that a restaurant in Babbo's price range should not feel the need to rinse glasses with expensive wine.  The glasses should be clean and free of odors in the first place.  Plus, it's my wine.  Maybe they should wipe some bolognese sauce around my plate to insure that the plate doesn't hold any off odors. :wacko:

With all due respect Mike, you're entitled to think the wine rinsing thing is silly, just as other people can bitch about the banquet seating, or Pink Floyd. But it's so minute it casts doubt on the rest of your opinions. Did the harmless Italian wine ritual really ruin your meal? From your post it's hard to imagine you weren't being sarcastic.

If you are being serious about YOUR expensive wine, etc. I think Babbo can offer you the unique opportunity to play the Ugly American without having to travel.

With all due respect, you should do a search and find my last review of my meal at Babbo in the original thread. It went into much more detail and probably explains my gripes with Babbo better. That all said, my opinion remains that priming glasses is silly. I don't see where that makes me an "ugly american". But your entitled to your opinion too, no matter how quickly or anonymously it was formed. You take one point out of several and choose to make that the focus of your rebuttal. I don't see how one point casts doubt on the rest of my opinions, but your mileage may vary.

Steve,

You are correct. My meals at Babbo have tended to be more "blowout" meals involving tasting menus and more expensive bottles of wine. In those cases, my meals at Lupa were literally 1/3 the price of Babbo. However, if you order like Rachel suggested, I can see getting out of Babbo for much less, but still 2x as much as Lupa. And in my opinion, you will have eaten a meal that wasn't 2x as good.

With all due respect, you should do a search and find my last review of my meal at Babbo in the original thread.  It went into much more detail and probably explains my gripes with Babbo better.  That all said, my opinion remains that priming glasses is silly.  I don't see where that makes me an "ugly american".  But your entitled to your opinion too, no matter how quickly or anonymously it was formed.  You take one point out of several and choose to make that the focus of your rebuttal.  I don't see how one point casts doubt on the rest of my opinions, but your mileage may vary.

Mike, I didn't intend to offend you. I agree simply thinking priming glasses is silly doesn't make you an "ugly american." I bet there are many Italians who think its silly, too. What I question is whether its a fair criterion for criticizing a restaurant. It's not bad service; just different, or "silly." To get offended by it is kind of. . .intolerant.

I got the impression you were harping on the priming thing, based on the expensive wine and the bolognese sauce comments. If I was wrong I apologize.

• 3 months later...

O.K. Babbo's tread has been awfully quiet lately but my cousin didn't use his $250 gift cert that I bought him after dining last 12/19 and had it thrust back to me. I have procured a reservation tonight for tomorrow ( 5:30 but who's bitching? I got dinner non grata ) I'm seriously thinking pasta tasting. Anyone been recently?

To be honest a bit lazy, a bit over-whelmed by the scene. A Canadian in New Jersey. I'm all over it. Looking forward to it. Might make it a daily double and nosh at Otto early. Good place to get a little wine and cheese early before the pasta tasting.

The pasta tasting menu with the wine pairing might have been my favorite meal of the year - and that included meals at Inn at Little Washington, Citronelle in DC and French Laundry.

Maybe not the 'Best' meal, but the most fun.

Bill Russell

I have a reservation for 4 people 2 days after Xmas at Babbo. I'm going with my brother and his wife and there's no chance that we'll be having any tasting menu as i understand that the whole table must order it and that's no going to happen(not my choice:(. What apps and entrees should i make sure that my brother and i conspire to order together that we can't/shouldn't miss? thanks for the help.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

I had the pleasure of having a full blown tasting menu at Babbo back in September. The two dishes that were head and shoulders above the rest were the two pasta dishes. I'm still kicking myself for not having the pasta tasting menu.

Grappa at Otto afterwards was most excellent, too.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

lou, jump right into the pasta tasting paired with wines. don't think twice.

Lou/Tommy,

IMHO, the wine pairings are not the way to go. The wine list at Babbo is outstanding and for the same amount of money, one could purchase a very good bottle. However, while the pours are generous, the wines themselves (I did the reserve pairings) were substandard at best with only one exception.

mikec,

given my little knowledge of italian wines, and the amount of disparate courses generally served with the tasting, i find the wine pairings fun and appropriate. it's also a chance to learn a bit more about italian wines, and offers a chance for additional discourse with the sommelier throughout the meal. given that the pairings are probably at least 40 (and the reserve is 60 or 70 iirc), i'm sure you're correct in that a fine bottle (or two) could be chosen for the same price.

Edited by tommy (log)

I had the pleasure of having a full blown tasting menu at Babbo back in September.  The two dishes that were head and shoulders above the rest were the two pasta dishes.  I'm still kicking myself for not having the pasta tasting menu.

Interesting. I agree that the pasta dishes are outstanding -- especially the fresh pasta dishes and even more especially the pasta ripiena dishes (I speak of the goose liver ravioli, the beef cheek ravioli, the calf's brain "francobolli" and the mint "love letters"). That said, the most outstanding dish I have ever had there was the fennel dusted sweetbreads with quince vinegar and duck bacon. The tripa alla parmigiana blew me away too.

Grappa at Otto afterwards was most excellent, too.

The grappa tasting at Babbo is pretty cool, too. We've always managed to make friends with the wine guy (I love Italian wines and grappa even more), who always gives us a very generous pour and sometimes an extra grappa to taste.

--