• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popcorn at home

stagis

I think popcorn is a great way to use up those "seasoning mix" bottles that people insist on giving me for Christmas. I can never find a really good use for them except on popcorn. The Southwest seasoning mixes work well. When I used the Italian seasoning mix it ended up tasting like pork chops. That was kind of weird, but not a bad weird, really. I like to mix the kernels, oil, and seasoning together, and pop in the microwave Alton Brown style (paper bag it).

We get really great local popcorn here in Illinois, so sometimes it doesn't need much seasoning at all. I'll have to try K8Memphis' version, though. Then it's already in the bowl! And bacon grease? Where's the drooling smiley?

Edited to say, wait! If you were worried about clogging the spritzer, could you use clarified butter instead of regular butter in the bottle? Would that work? Or am I delusional?

Edited by KatieM (log)

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

I use Cheddar Shake, powdered Vermont cheddar cheese, from Cabot cheese www.cabotcheese.com. This is the same cheese that comes with Annie's Noodles (actually I don't know if Annie's uses Cabot or another brand). I first heard about it in a recipe by Todd English of Olives. It's excellent on popcorn

I like to use the green tabasco on my popcorn at times. It can make the popcorn a little soggy but it is darn good. Also, you can drizzle herb infused olive oil on it as well. Rosemary and parm is good too!

I absolutely hate nutritional yeast. I cant even stand the smell of it. But I love Frontier Cheddar and Spice Popcorn Seasoning even though it has nutritional yeast. It is terrific -- good flavor without sweetness.

I make my own seasonings sometimes. Just throw the ingedients in a food processor.

PIZZA POPCORN

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

Dash of pepper

HERB POPCORN SEASONING

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried marjoram

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

NACHO POPCORN

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

• 1 year later...

Just like it says on the tin,

Will you share your great recipes and coatings for that corn which does pop. The truth is my g.f. loves it and I wanna make her day. Savory, sweet, alls a treat. Cover me in tasty corn from my chin to my feet. Thanks in advance.

Standard method in my house--Presto popper, the plastic kind that goes in the microwave.  Orville's corn, sprinkled with olive oil before popping, topped with nutritional yeast and fine popcorn salt.

Thanks bro

um........... I'm a limey brit welsh boy

so whats nutritional yeast.. um

looking for unusual, usual coatings.............. just read about alton browns microwave method but am looking for some amazing taste sensations............. thanks once again. Teach me toings I kinda know the classics but wanna be amazed..

I actually want to know how to make GOOD popcorn on the stove. I've tried countless times, and either they come out too chewy and small, or I have half of my kernals left unpopped.

Can someone give me tutorial?

If you'd prefer, I can start a new topic, Wozencroft...

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

We pop popcorn on the stove in a pan with a wooden handle; I just found this link on google:

a photo of the popcorn maker

Also about actually making the popcorn: the oil type is important. I was usuing safflower or corn oil with success: olive and walnut are not successful in my house.

toppings: Mr. Chardgirl prefers plain salt; I like nutritional yeast; our son likes gomaiso (sp?) and I like that too sometimes, and our daughter likes cheese powder and or yeast.

I'd like to hear what other chowhounders do to their popcorn!

cg

Stove-top popcorn:

Get a good-sized pot with a lid; it can be loose fitting. Heat it for a good while over medium high heat. Pour in 2-4 tablespoons of oil (peanut is best, but pretty much anything will do) and swirl it until it's just about to hit the smoke point. Toss in 1/2 cup of good popcorn, and start shaking. As the popcorn pops ,you may run out of room, so have a big bowl ready to dump it as needed. When you've popped most of the kernels, the time between pops slows down; when you can count to three between pops, you're done and in danger of burning. Dump the popped corn, toss a few tablespoons of butter into the hot pot, melt it (or brown it -- yum) and dump it on the corn. Eat by the fistfull.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts