• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popcorn at home

stagis

Water and fat can combine to cause this nasty popping phenomenon when heated. The water vaporizes and sends fat flying in tiny explosions. Perhaps water got into the fatback from the blanching (?)

Chris Sadler

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Why, then, does nearly every recipe about how to render lard tell you to start with a little water, to kinda get things started? And in the past, when I've done that, it never happened?

Could that be because in that case I wasn't actually blanching the fat, so the water didn't actually get into the fat, and therefore boils off before things have a chance to pop?

Could that be because in that case I wasn't actually blanching the fat, so the water didn't actually get into the fat, and therefore boils off before things have a chance to pop?

That is about right. Besides, rendering the lard is done at much more gentle temperatures so you wouldn't get the popping.

Now what I want to know is what the "popcorn" tasted like. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The truth is, I got so sick of it popping and spraying hot fat all over that I decided enough fat had rendered (it had), so even though the bits and pieces weren't brown, I pulled them out--and since they weren't brown, I didn't feel like eating them, so I tossed them.

Don't worry, there are several more chunks of salted fatback in the fridge. Lard for all. There are very few things in the world that aren't improved by it in some way.

• 9 months later...

I got myself one of those popcorn popping pans with the rotating handle. However, I need flavoring and would like to make my own. Butter is my favorite and I like to use a spray bottle to distribute the melted butter but think it will clog.

I heard of spraying with flavored oil to use in the spray bottle but haven't seen one better tasting than butter. The spray bottle allocates less fat than pouring it onto the popcorn. Any suggestion how to spray the butter?

I thought of spraying healthy oil, such as flax, and adding a powder flavoring.

Any suggestion for flavoring? I like savory so sweet is out of the question.

Thank you.

A spritz of olive oil, freshly grated parm, and pepper.

Or, to recreate a treat from my childhood, buy a package of mac & cheese that uses the powdered cheese. Butter the popcorn, and sprinkle the cheese powder on, to taste. Fantastic with grape soda (if you're a teenager! :raz: )

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I second the parmigiano-reggiano, freshly grated. I figure that since popcorn is corn and polenta is corn, what works with polenta would work with popcorn. That's the delusion that I'm living. :biggrin:

Edited by esvoboda (log)

Dude, Dude, Dude, Dude, Dude

pop it in BACON GREASE

oh

my

gosh

There simply is no equal - pop it in a tablespoon or two of bacon grease - or add that to some regular oil - after popping use a little butta & salt - and you can use a very minimum of butta or butta spray.

In fact, I do this in the microwave. I just heat the bacon grease in a big pyrex bowl for 2 mins, add the popcorn, stir it up, cover with regular plastic wrap - pop - remove the plastic wrap quick so it doesn't steam too much - drizzle with the butta & sprinkle with the salt - fasten your seatbelt and lick your chops for popcorn heaven. :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Dude, Dude, Dude, Dude, Dude

pop it in BACON GREASE

oh

my

gosh

There simply is no equal - pop it in a tablespoon or two of bacon grease -  or add that to some regular oil - after popping use a little butta & salt - and you can use a very minimum of butta or butta spray.

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I put olive oil in my sprayer, and then sprinkle  the popcornwith nutritional yeast.

I've always heard that nutritional yeast is good on popcorn, but I've also heard that it can give you a severe case of gas...so I've been leery of trying it :hmmm::shock:

True, false?

I got myself one of those popcorn popping pans with the rotating handle.  However, I need flavoring and would like to make my own.  Butter is my favorite and I like to use a spray bottle to distribute the melted butter but think it will clog.   

I heard of spraying with flavored oil to use in the spray bottle but haven't seen one better tasting than butter.  The spray bottle allocates less fat than pouring it onto the popcorn.  Any suggestion how to spray the butter? 

I thought of spraying healthy oil, such as flax, and adding a powder flavoring.

Any suggestion for flavoring?  I like savory so sweet is out of the question.

Thank you.

Sprinkle with a combination of lemon pepper, dill weed, garlic powder, and salt. Awesome and addictive.

I put olive oil in my sprayer, and then sprinkle  the popcornwith nutritional yeast.

Huh ? what's nutritional yeast ? I clueless ... I have to look for it/some. best to look at a vegetarian/natural store ?

I'm traditional with my popcorn, oil in the pan and a bit a fine salt.