• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popcorn at home

stagis

I'm generally not much of an alarmist, but in this case, I would feel remiss if I didn't speak up and note that flavacol contains two commonly used (and therefore difficult to avoid) food colourings, which it seems would be best to try to avoid.

E110 and E103 (both yellow lakes). E110 seems especially egregious.

But, these two were both included decades ago when the FDA first approved any food colourings, so you've likely consumed plenty of it.

Personally? I wouldn't touch that stuff, and not just because of the colourings. I think movie popcorn tastes like chemicals. I suspect the "artificial butter flavour" (popcorn supply company) is a derivative of diacetyl. Pretty much innocuous, but it's been implicated causing heath problems also; in massive doses. Yeast produce it naturally as a byproduct during fermentation, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Mark.

Garam masala.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread here. I've been popping in my 4qt All-Clad saucepan, and I've been using my splatter screen to contain the popping kernels. It works great--it lets the steam out and allows you to see the action, and if you're a shaker (I am), you can easily hold it in place with your thumb.

Btw, I'm lazy when it comes to getting seasonings to stick. I just let them fall to the bottom of the bowl and get them to stick to the tips of my fingers as I eat the popcorn.

I've been out of the chili-infused oil for a while now, but have new one from the asian grocery store. I love popping corn using chili oil.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.