• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

About coffee and spice grinders

mamagotcha

We have an old Krups coffee grinder that's done well for us. I picked up a new one recently for spice grinding, but it has a larger reservoir and is quieter than the old one... my husband would like to use it for the coffee and swap the old one to be the spice grinder.

I know you're supposed to have separate grinders for the two things. Once you've used a grinder for coffee, can it be cleaned and used for spices? What would I use? I was thinking I'd grind up a bunch of rice or something I can just toss out, and it might knock loose all the old coffee bits.

I did a quick search and didn't find this topic elsewhere; my apologies if it's already been covered, and my sincere thanks for a pointer!

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

I have a cxouple of Krups grinders, and have tried using one for coffee and spice grinding, cleaning the grinder with rice as you mentioned. It didn't work too well as, even with cleaning, there was a slight "mingling" of flavors. If you want to try it, be sure to clean the grinder VERY well, running fresh rice through the machine at least three times until powdered. Maybe you'll have better luck than I - the types of spice may play a role here.

However, using two grinders is probably a better, long trm choice.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are dedicating the old grinder to nuts and spices, wipe it out and start grinding. The coffee residue will be overpowered by the spices in no time. Unless you need rice flour, I say don't waste the rice.

Question: has anyone used the Cuisinart nut and spice grinder? It was highly recommended by some magazine recently (I think Fine Cooking, but I'm not sure) and retails for $39. My husband bakes bread and likes to grind small amounts of whole grain such as millet, wheat berries, etc. We have a very very old coffee grinder for which replacement blades are not available and I don't want to use it for anything but coffee. (Yes, I'm very attached to it!) I'm thinking of getting him this Cuisinart grinder for a gift. Worth it, at twice the price of a second coffee grinder?

We have an old Krups coffee grinder that's done well for us. I picked up a new one recently for spice grinding, but it has a larger reservoir and is quieter than the old one... my husband would like to use it for the coffee and swap the old one to be the spice grinder.

I know you're supposed to have separate grinders for the two things. Once you've used a grinder for coffee, can it be cleaned and used for spices? What would I use? I was thinking I'd grind up a bunch of rice or something I can just toss out, and it might knock loose all the old coffee bits.

I did a quick search and didn't find this topic elsewhere; my apologies if it's already been covered, and my sincere thanks for a pointer!

Should be no problem going from coffee grinder to spice grinder. It's a bit more troublesome going the other way! I have used rice followed by white bread and a good wipe out with a paper towel and it works reasonably well to get rid of any existing "crud". Going the other way I would follow the same routine but in addition I would sacrifice a couple Tbs coffee!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

To help clean the grinder, grind some rice or better yet some instant minute rice. It will help clean up oils from the spices and leave it cleaner. You can then clean and wipe it out and start grinding coffee. Better yet, get a burr grinder for the coffee and leave the blade grinder for the spices.

To help clean the grinder, grind some rice or better yet some instant minute rice.  It will help clean up oils from the spices and leave it cleaner.  You can then clean and wipe it out and start grinding coffee.  Better yet, get a burr grinder for the coffee and leave the blade grinder for the spices.

awesome idea I can not wait to try this!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet