• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do I do with custard powder?

sheetz

Hot custard (usually made from powder :rolleyes: ) is a popular accompaniment to a hot desert in the UK. You might be offered it for example with a hot apple pie, or hot stewed fruit, and its the proper thing to serve with a proper steamed "pudding"... :smile:

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I love custard!! :rolleyes:

oh! Kerry! Do you add it to the cream? And then the cream to the chocolate? I do that when I make my Salep truffles.

Yup, cook it with the cream and then add to melted chocolate.

Yup, cook it with the cream and then add to melted chocolate.

Would you care to elaborate on amounts & method?

My husband is english and loves custard - custard flavoured chocolates would be a great treat. There's Bird's in the cupboard......

Thanks

PM me your regular e-mail address and I'll mail them from mastercook. Too lazy to type them out.

Finally, a Pastry & Baking topic that I can contribute to -- although I'm not the first here to praise hot custard. My high school sweetheart's folks were Brits and we had Bird's all the time. As well as Ovaltine, Marmite, Flake bars and Heath bars. I associate all those items with being a teenager in the 1980's.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack