• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hole in the wall italian

chopjwu12

hello everyone,

I was just looking for a little help. I was wondering if anyone knew of any really good hole in the wall italian restaurants in central to northern nj. Something nice to go to but not exactly babbo if you get what im saying. Thanks for the help.

You might try American Bistro in Nutley (yep, it's Italian). It's not exactly a hole in the wall, but it's not at all sleek and upscale--if I'm reading you right, you want something sort of old-school Italian-American, and that's what they've got. Great food--order a half portion, unless you want something absolutely massive.

• 4 weeks later...
hello everyone,

I was just looking for a little help. I was wondering if anyone knew of any really good hole in the wall italian restaurants in central to northern nj. Something nice to go to but not exactly babbo if you get what im saying. Thanks for the help.

Tattoni’s was a little known gem of a restaurant in the Chambersburg section of Trenton, NJ for years. It has since moved to the suburbs (Rt. 33 in Hamilton Twp.) and is now a BYOB. The menu is limited and not written down, but the food is great and more than reasonable in price.

Due Nicola in Little Falls.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Tattoni’s was a little known gem of a restaurant in the Chambersburg section of Trenton, NJ for years.  It has since moved to the suburbs (Rt. 33 in Hamilton Twp.) and is now a BYOB.  The menu is limited and not written down, but the food is great and more than reasonable in price.

Tom, is Dom's son still cooking and is the food still as good as when they were on Chestnut Street? I used to love this place, especially the limited menu and the almost surly all business waitresses that delivered the food. Where else can you get a 3 course lunch for 8 bucks anywhere and really great food to boot.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Guys: Took some friends from England to Tattoni's a few weeks ago and was pretty disappointed in the both the quality of food and the ridiculously slow service of food to our table. There is now a printed men, which is more confusing than helpful. The old unwritten menu system worked much better in the Burg. And the food took and ETERNITY to get to our table, the time between courses was ridiculous. The room was 3/4 full on a Friday night, and theer seemed to be plenty of waitresses, but they were just walking around, not working. Prices were raised a few bucks in the move to Hamilton, but, to my palate, the quality took a dive. Pastas were watery, no mattwer the sauce chosen, chicken cattiatore (their "signature dish" according to the menu and our waitress, was Ok, but had a vinegar overtone that never existed in the old place. B ut it was the timing of the food getting to our table that bugged us the most.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I would agree with Chick and Nello's 5-6 years ago but food quality has gone way down since Primo left the kitchen. The good news though is that you will still get beat up if you're not a regular!

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Tattoni’s was a little known gem of a restaurant in the Chambersburg section of Trenton, NJ for years.  It has since moved to the suburbs (Rt. 33 in Hamilton Twp.) and is now a BYOB.  The menu is limited and not written down, but the food is great and more than reasonable in price.

Tom, is Dom's son still cooking and is the food still as good as when they were on Chestnut Street? I used to love this place, especially the limited menu and the almost surly all business waitresses that delivered the food. Where else can you get a 3 course lunch for 8 bucks anywhere and really great food to boot.

I was there for lunch shortly after they moved and it seemed like everything was the same except they don’t have a liquor license. I’m not sure how much it cost since my buddy picked up the tab, but he didn’t comment on it and he was a regular Burg customer. I see that Rich below had a bad experience. That’s the first I’ve heard of anyone complaining about the food. The service has always been a little surly, but I can’t ever remember waiting too long. I guess I’ll have to give it a try for dinner on a weekend night.

I can definitely second Due Nicola in Little Falls. Consistently good food. Small place with about 10-15 tables, personal service from the owner, fresh seafood, and delicious Pistachio Cake that is their specialty dessert (you won't find this cake anywhere else).

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

La Riviera in Clifton on Rte. 46 E.  No ambiance, old school waitresses, generous portions, good red sauce.  Yum!

Also try La Riviera Gastronomia, which is right next door and owned by the same family. Same food and great sauce, and they do takeout.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Guys, I'm throwing La Sicilia on Washington Ave in Belleville into the mix. It has all the ambience of every other pizzaria/restaurant in NJ but the food is GREAT. Try the Palermo Pie Thin crust with chees on the bottom and the sauce on top. Also the brachiolle (sp?) was good as were the pasta dishes. Very reasonably priced as well.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I've always had a good meal at Queen Margherita and Via Brera (both in Nutley and BYOB's).

While Via Brera is a little more upscale than a hole in the wall, I had some of the best fresh pasta and osso bucco there.

• 2 weeks later...
hello everyone,

Try Toscana Trattoria in Whippany. It's the most authentic italian cuisine.

Paradiso Pizza, Route 46 in Rockaway.

A true "hole in the wall," with no more than eight tables and no ambience, the food is fantastic and the owner, a true character. Aside from excellent pizza, Matteo, the owner, makes superb pasta. Homemade gnocchi, penne with fresh tomato and porcini mushrooms, excellent fish and veal (the pizzaola is terrific) It is BYOB, the portions are generous, and no entree is more than $14.00, with salad, homemade bread, and a pasta side.

• 1 month later...

I will cast my lot with La Sicilia. Although I think their Palermo pie is overated. They make a really nice tomato sauce which they put on just about everything.

The veal braciole is a can't miss and it is the most expensive item in the joint at $11.00, I have also enjoyed the tripe and fusilli.

Also, I think the owner Giuseppe and his wife are very nice people and the atmosphere is almost like you are guests at their home for lunch and dinner.

However, do not expect 4 star service. Many days it is just the Mr and Mrs. running food from the kitchen and trying to run the register at the same time for take out.

Therefore, once your meal makes it to the table, you probably are not going to see any service until you decide to go to the register and get the check yourself.

But I kind of think that is half the charm of the place.

where is La Sicilia? thx.

I will cast my lot with La Sicilia. Although I think their Palermo pie is overated. They make a really nice tomato sauce which they put on just about everything.

The veal braciole is a can't miss and it is the most expensive item in the joint at $11.00, I have also enjoyed the tripe and fusilli.

Also, I think the owner Giuseppe and his wife are very nice people and the atmosphere is almost like you are guests at their home for lunch and dinner.

However, do not expect 4 star service. Many days it is just the Mr and Mrs. running food from the kitchen and trying to run the register at the same time for take out.

Therefore, once your meal makes it to the table, you probably are not going to see any service until you decide to go to the register and get the check yourself.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

where is La Sicilia?  thx.

Washington Avenue, Belleville, NJ close to the Newark border.

where is La Sicilia?  thx.