• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Martini

LaNiña

From the book Absinthe Cocktails, the Fifth Avenue (Jim Romdall) with Tanqueray London dry gin, Dolin blanc vermouth, yellow Chartreuse, St. George absinthe. It's a very nice Martini/Tuxedo variation. You cannot really go wrong with this kind of flavor combination.

22994798440_39803c8b3c_z.jpg

• 2 months later...

Queen Eleanor (Brandon Josie via Gaz Regan) with Tanqueray London dry gin, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, Briottet wild peach liqueur, Berg & Hauck celery bitters. The celery bitters add a strong herbal note that cuts some of the sweetness of the peach liqueur in this Martini variation.

24843792905_f163bc0d08_h.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Craig E said:

Did you really mean "1/8 Tbsp" as the measure for the maraschino? How did you measure that? I guess that would be like a fat quarter-teaspoon? 

That's kind of a funky measurement, right? I was thinking the same thing when I was re-reading the recipe the other day. I am pretty sure it's a "dash" in the original recipe, and I won't go into the rabbit hole of trying to figure out again what a dash is...

In any case, to answer your question, 1/8 tablespoon = 3/8 teaspoon = 1.5 1/4 teaspoon, so I would have measured a full 1/4 teaspoon, and then another half 1/4 teaspoon.

When I made the cocktail most recently I measured 1/2 barspoon cause I wasn't going to bother with the 1/4 teaspoon. It worked fine.  :)

• Like 2