• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Martini

LaNiña

If you use a black olive, you get what Wambaugh calls The Black Marble.

I've actually read this is called a "Buckeye".

http://www.digsmagazine.com/host/host_mart...tiniprimer3.htm

Appears to be so, however, when Wambaugh was drinking them at a place called Monaghan's in Pasadena, they were called Black Marbles. In fact, I think he wrote a book with that title.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Ever have a martini (or gibson) with those olives (or pearl onions) marinated in a bit of vermouth that you can buy now?  Pretty good in lieu of adding vermouth separately and make for a nice dry martini.

I used to replace my olive brine with vermouth because I was too cheap to use gin. But it never occured to me at the time to use cheap gin in the olives and good gin in the drink. Anyway, I liked my martinis with vermouth olives and I certainly liked the idea of vermouthing my olives, I've just fallen out of practice.

LOL! What do you guys think a martini is?? It is a kosher way to order straight gin without looking like a boozer. . . . The people that drink . . . martinis with 4:1 gin to vermouth ratios don't like martinis, they like to be seen drinking martinis, but can't handle the liquor.

Well, to each his own, I guess. Three jiggers of watery gin with a jigger of white wine added is still pretty damn potent in my book. Try a couple in the afternoon when you haven't had any lunch and then tell me you don't think they're effective.

The "kosher" martini would undoubtedly be three jiggers of gin in a martini glass--with a garnish of a kosher pickle on the end of a toothpick instead of an olive. Nah, that would never work: the pickle would take up too much room in the glass and you wouldn't have any room for the gin. . . . :biggrin:

There is no shame...and a 15 minute pause before complete drunkenness, if you make a martini on the rocks in an Old Fashioned glass.

Maggie, I am with you on this. A Martini on the rocks is quite civilized. Especially when you are in the mood to sip a bit more slowly. Watery it may be, but there is nothing worse than a warm Martini!

I will add a little story by way of discussion of the perfect Martini ( and my life is a shallow search for said same )

The best I have ever had ( not counting those made by my estimable brother ) was at The American Bar at The Savoy. It was faultless, cold and dry as a bone. When I asked the elderly barman how much vermouth he recommended for the drink he looked at me and said

"Sir, it is enough that the man delivering the Gin, had a mother who once drank Vermouth"

'nuff said

The night was also memorable as during the meal a loud booming voice cried out " I have fallen off the wagon, Krug for everyone" I turned around and their in nothing but an ill fitting hotel bathrobe was Richard Harris, ciggie in one hand and bottle of Champagne in the other. Bottles of far better stuff than I could ever afford appeared in front of every one and he walked of into the distance leaving a bewildered crowd behind.

S

LOL! What do you guys think a martini is?? It is a kosher way to order straight gin without looking like a boozer. It's not commonly a cocktail and 90% of real martini drinkers drink them with so little vermouth that it is bascially straight gin (or vodka) with olives. The people that drink chocolate martinis and martinis with 4:1 gin to vermouth ratios don't like martinis, they like to be seen drinking martinis, but can't handle the liquor.

You have a point. Many a martini drinker will say just show the bottle of vermouth to the gin.

I add one to two drips of vermouth, any more and the vermouth overpowers the gin.

As mentioned above Tanqueray, Booths, Gordons (sentimental reasons), Bombay all make good martinis.

While I use Vodka instead of gin (gin gives me a headache), I tend to swirl the dry vermouth (usually Martini & Rossi) around the glass like Gordon, then dump it out. Favorite vodka is Sky with Belvedere a very close second.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

While I use Vodka instead of gin (gin gives me a headache), I tend to swirl the dry vermouth (usually Martini & Rossi) around the glass like Gordon, then dump it out.  Favorite vodka is Sky with Belvedere a very close second.

If you like SKYY - try Grey Goose - you'll love it.

Actually, I have a bottle of Grey Goose here. From which I've had one martini made from it. I didn't like it. Probably just me, but it tasted musty to me. Hmmmm, perhaps it's time to try it again!

Marlene

Actually, I have a bottle of Grey Goose here. From which I've had one martini made from it. I didn't like it. Probably just me, but it tasted musty to me. Hmmmm, perhaps it's time to try it again!

Really - I'm a Ketel One guy, but I'm changing to the Goose.

I'm going to try it again this weekend. I'll let you know!

Marlene

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread needed bumping.

My 'martini' glasses are really oversize margarita glasses. They're simply too big to serve martinis in unless you want the chance to rifle through your guests' wallets. I need proper 'tini glasses. What size should I be going for?

LOL! What do you guys think a martini is?? It is a kosher way to order straight gin without looking like a boozer.

amen.

my neighbors' 81-yr-old mother, having reached the age where she can happily tell everyone to sod off, drinks her gin on the rocks, as much as she likes. and we're all happy to have her pass out in our laz-e-boys.

and she calls it a "crystal chandelier." and just you dare try telling her it's not a cocktail. :smile:

LOL! What do you guys think a martini is?? It is a kosher way to order straight gin without looking like a boozer. It's not commonly a cocktail and 90% of real martini drinkers drink them with so little vermouth that it is bascially straight gin (or vodka) with olives. The people that drink chocolate martinis and martinis with 4:1 gin to vermouth ratios don't like martinis, they like to be seen drinking martinis, but can't handle the liquor.

You have a point. Many a martini drinker will say just show the bottle of vermouth to the gin.

I face Italy and salute.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There is no such thing as a martini made from vodka. That's like calling tomato juice and gin a Bloody Mary. Or pineapple juice, coconut creme and tequila a Piña Colada.

This thread needed bumping.

My 'martini' glasses are really oversize margarita glasses. They're simply too big to serve martinis in unless you want the chance to rifle through your guests' wallets. I need proper 'tini glasses. What size should I be going for?

I have two sizes: 6 oz. and 8 oz.

Keep in mind that these sizes are the amount of liquid the glass holds when filled to the rim, NOT the amount of the average drink I pour into them. I just poured water back and forth from a measuring cup to the glasses, and found that a 4 oz. drink fits very snugly into the 6 oz. glass (comes up to within an eighth-inch of the top). The same 4-oz. drink leaves about a half inch at the top of the eight-oz. glass.

I find that a 4-oz. martini is about the upper limit if you don't want your drink to get warm. I tend to use the 6 oz glasses for martinis and the 8 oz glasses for cocktails with more ingredients (which tend to be larger than 4 oz).

As for the design of your glasses, look for a glass without a seam at the base of the bowl. That creates a weak spot, thus making it really easy to snap the glass at that point.

• 3 months later...
Ernest Hemmingway, an expert in these things, preferred a ratio of 15 to 1 Gin to Vermouth, and called it a Monty, after the British General Montgommery, because he would not attack unless he outnumbered the enemy by this ratio.

I like to fill a shaker with ice, pour in a small amount of vermouth, shake to coat the ice, pour off any free vermouth, add the gin, stir briefly and pour into chilled glasses. A lemon twist is all that is needed, perhaps some home made salted crisps. :wacko:

This is just about the funniest and best description of how to make a great martini that I have ever heard. By-the-way folks, if you want some great buys on martini accessories, tune in to Ebay.

Best wishes to all

Barry

Ernest Hemmingway, an expert in these things, preferred a ratio of 15 to 1 Gin to Vermouth, and called it a Monty, after the British General Montgommery, because he would not attack unless he outnumbered the enemy by this ratio.

I like to fill a shaker with ice, pour in a small amount of vermouth, shake to coat the ice, pour off any free vermouth, add the gin, stir briefly and pour into chilled glasses. A lemon twist is all that is needed, perhaps some home made salted crisps. :wacko:

Hmm, 3 OZs of gin makes two martinis -- well, you won't even need a designated driver at that rate!

supposedly the "best" (??) gins for martini's are those with less alcohol, since one IS essentially already drinking straight gin!!!!!!

ex's: gordon's 40%... plymouth 41%... citadelle (although somewhat botanic)...boodles 45% :biggrin:

vs

those better suited for G & T's, i.e. higher alc %: beefeater's, bombay sapphire, tang = 47%, #10 @ 47.3%; plus the bombay sapphire & tang #10 generaly thought to have too many botanicals for martini's, better off in G & T's, i.e., the botanicals work with the schweppes, not against. preferably want a purer gin when downing martini's, with emphasis on the " 's " :smile:

my preference is the gibson - 1 of life's little pleasures :cool:

very important info, especially with PRIME G&T season approaching :wink:

QUESTION: what is the correct terminology when one would like to order a martini that is NOT "dry" or "extra-dry", i.e., a martini with more vermouth?

Edited by baruch (log)