• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mulata Daiquiri

Barworkz

I believe the correct designation of the cocktail would be: the Mulato. From what I have been able to discover, this is a Daiquiri variation originating in Cuba (where the appellation may not carry the same disapprobation as it does in certain parts of the US) and is more or less a regular Daiquiri made with dark rum and a touch of creme de cacao.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

Well, "mulato" would be the Spanish. If it's a Cuban drink, wouldn't it be likely to be listed in Spanish? Daiquiri is a masculine word, so you're right that it would end in "-o."

Just confirmed with my Spanish officemate that it's not generally pejorative in Spain. Can't say how it's perceived in other countries. (Ok, enough about language)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

It is in fact a variation of the Daiquiri theme and comes in proportions similar to these:

45 ml Cuban Rum (HC 7 works nicely)

15 ml Dark Creme de Cacao

5 ml Simple (2:1)

30 ml Fresh Limejuice

It's been on and off bar menus here in Germany for years and I have come across it in London bar menus as well.

But my research has not yet found a legitimate source that can let me guess where it was invented and by whom. I couldn't even put it into a specific time period although I'd guess it would be somewhere in the 20s to 30s.

As to the PC: it doesn't seem to be too offending to Cubans...there is after all a Cuban rum called "Mulata"!

1939 Floridita Booklet : "Squeeze one green lemon, 1/2 ounce of Elixir Bacardi, 2 ounce stale Bacardi rum, shake well and serve it frappe."

"Elixier Bacardi" is supposed to be a "product made by macerating prunes and cherry stones in rum and sweetening it, used mainly as a digestif."

Now that looks like another Daiquiri variation using some kind of Maraschino liqueur getting its name from the colour of "stale" rum (which I translate into "aged") and probably the prune macerate.

Could one conclude that Creme de Cacao came into the game much later, maybe after Bacardi moved its production to Puerto Rico and stopped producing "Elixier"?

[...]

"Elixier Bacardi" is supposed to be a "product made by macerating prunes and cherry stones in rum and sweetening it, used mainly as a digestif."

Now that looks like another Daiquiri variation using some kind of Maraschino liqueur getting its name from the colour of "stale" rum (which I translate into "aged") and probably the prune macerate.

[...]

Hard to say how badly the description of Elixier Bacardi is mangled, but from that description it sounds more like Creme de Noyaux (or Amaretto) than Maraschino Liqueur.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA