• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Bellinis'

phillaurie

I use canned white peaches and add a little lemon juice after pureeing to counteract the sweetness. I'm sure fresh would be better, but I've had no complaints. If you must use fresh, you might try lightly poaching them first. You could add lemon juice, but the amount you would have to add to keep the puree from turning brown might be overpowering.

I really dug that French 75 you made. Whats the recipe for that?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

French 75:

1/4 oz gin (I like Seagrams because of it's citrusy focus)

1/2 oz Cointreau

1/4 oz lemon juice

Shake with ice and pour into chilled cocktail glass. Top with 4 oz of chilled champagne and garnish with a lemon twist.

drink "quickly, while it's laughing at you" - Harry Craddock

• 1 month later...

OOh--I just saw this! I love French 75's, but I make mine with simple syrup in place of the Cointreau. Next time I will try Nightscotsman's version. This might just be the most expensive cocktail in the world! :raz: What do you use for the champagne? I have been drinking Proseco all summer (and into the fall).

Philaurie, maybe a squeeze of lemon juice would help--you might have to experiment as the flavor might be effected, as Nightscotsman says . Also, how far in advance to you make it?

I have seen Fruitfresh mentioned by some of the pastry and dessert mavens on the site. Maybe a bit incorporated into the puree would do the trick.

What do you use for the champagne?  I have been drinking Proseco all summer (and into the fall).

I usually just buy Freixenet. The quality is fine, it's realatively cheap, and you can find it in any grocery store. No point in wasting a really good expensive champane in a cocktail, as the other ingredients would just overpower the more refined wine. I also prefer to use extra dry rather than brut. The flavor tends to stand up to the mixers better.

And if you like cocktails with champagne, or just the occasional glass, one of these stoppers is a must:

B00004RDBL.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

They aren't expensive and they can keep champagne drinkable for days.

I use canned white peaches and add a little lemon juice after pureeing to counteract the sweetness. I'm sure fresh would be better, but I've had no complaints. If you must use fresh, you might try lightly poaching them first. You could add lemon juice, but the amount you would have to add to keep the puree from turning brown might be overpowering.

As I recall, the bellinis at Harry's are pink in color. How do they do that? Grenadine?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.