• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mussels

sethd

Since I never order mussels out, I can't help if you're looking for them in a restaurant, but the mussels available at the greenmarket on various days

have been the tastiest ones I've ever cooked.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

IMO you can't beat the moulles frittes at Balthazar, and personally I always eat them at the bar. And truth be told, I always eat them in between lunch and dinner, usually on a crowded weekend when I manage to sneak into a bar spot just before the 4pm kitchen close. Very happy days.

And although the mussels aren't as good, the beer somewhat compensates at Vol de Nuit on West 4th, just off 6th Av. Take your choice of De Konick, Leffe Blonde/Brune, Delirium and others while washing down the mussels and fries. This place is basically a laid back, non-pretentious Belgian beer lounge/bar that serves only the two things to eat, so not appropriate if you are looking for a restaurant, but very appropriate if you are looking for some of the best beer on the planet served fresh from a tap with a side of mussels and fries.

• 8 months later...

Want to plug Cafe de Bruxelles, since it was this thread that gave me the idea. On my recent visit to NY I was dedicated to eating all manner of east coast crustacea and bivalves. My mother and I walked the High Line in the downtown direction and ended with lunch at the Cafe, which is just a few blocks from the Gansevoort stairs. Bruxelles stays open all afternoon, so that's a nice bonus. We both had the simplest moules marinieres and frites. The mussels were tender and fresh and there were lots of them. There was plenty of bread to sop the broth. The frites were among the best in memory, and a cold Belgian ale was exactly what we needed after our walk. It was after 2 pm, and there were only a few other patrons; very peaceful and relaxed. The staff was as nice as could be.